to go further Receive email alerts April 14, 2021 Find out more Prisoner of Conscience Since 2001 – Why has Sweden not managed to bring Dawit Isaak home? Organisation March 28, 2003 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders calls on the EU to intervene on behalf of 18 journalists detained In a letter to Poul Nielson, the European Commissioner for Development, who is to visit the Horn of Africa, Reporters Without Borders calls on the EU to condition the resumption of economic aid to Eritrea on the release of the 18 journalists detained. EritreaAfrica Follow the news on Eritrea News RSF urges Swedish judicial authorities to reverse Dawit Isaak decision Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders today called on the European Union to intervene on behalf of journalists detained in Eritrea. The request was made in a letter to Poul Nielson, the European Commissioner for Development and Humanitarian Aid, who is to visit the Horn of Africa from 1 to 7 April.”Knowing your commitment to human rights and press freedom, we hope you will raise this issue with the Eritrean authorities you meet,” Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard said in his letter to Nielson. “Our organisation in particular calls on the European Union to condition the resumption of economic aid to Eritrea on the release of the 18 journalists it has imprisoned and the re-emergence of a free, privately-owned press in the country.”On 18 September 2001, the government ordered the closure of all the privately-owned newspapers. At the same time, it launched an unprecedented wave of arrests of Eritrean journalists. A year and a half later, 18 journalists are still detained in undisclosed locations by the authorities. They have not been brought to trial and no official reason has been given for their arrest. Most other journalists have fled the country, finding refuge in Europe, North America or other parts of Africa.Reporters Without Borders believes it is unacceptable that the authorities of a country can, with full impunity, simply deprive its people of the right to be informed. Eritrea is today the only country in Africa, and one of the last in the world, without privately-owned news media. The only media permitted in Eritrea are those owned by the state, which are under the regime’s close control. The few foreign correspondents cannot work freely and in complete safety.At least 18 journalists were in prisons in Eritrea at the end of 2002. Zemenfes Haile, former editor and founder of Tsigenay, is believed to have been held in a camp in the desert since 1999. Ghebrehiwet Keleta, another Tsigenay journalist, is believed to have been arrested in July 2000. No information is available about the place of detention of these two journalists, or the reason they are being held.From 18 to 21 September 2001, at least 10 journalists from the privately-owned media were picked up by the authorities and taken to Asmara police station No. 1. The precise reason for their arrest was not announced, but most of them had interviewed or quoted the president’s critics. The ten detained journalists were Tsigenay’s editor in chief, Yusuf Mohamed Ali, who had already been jailed for several weeks in October 2000; Mattewos Habteab, editor in chief of Meqaleh, who had already been arrested several times in 2000 and 2001; Dawit Habtemichael, deputy editor in chief of Meqaleh; Medhanie Haile, deputy editor in chief of Keste Debena; Temesgen Gebreyesus, a member of Keste Debena’s board; Emanuel Asrat, editor in chief of Zemen; Dawit Isaac and Fessehaye Yohannes of the newspaper Setit; Said Abdulkader, a journalist with the magazine Admas; and freelance photographer Seyoum Tsehaye.The ten journalists began a hunger strike on 31 March 2002. In a letter from prison, they said they were protesting against their illegal detention and demanded “their right to justice,” in particular, a trial before a “fair and independent court.” Nine of them were transferred to an unknown place of detention on 3 April. Police at Asmara police station No. 1 told relatives they were no longer in their cells. Army personnel and presidential aides had reportedly taken them to a secret place. The tenth journalist on hunger strike, Isaac, was also transferred to an unknown place after receiving care at Halibet hospital because of ill-treatment during detention. Two other journalists, Selamyinghes Beyene of Meqaleh and Binyam Haile of Haddas Eritrea, were also reportedly detained in the autumn of 2001.Three journalists with the state-owned media were arrested in January and February 2002: Hamid Mohamed Said and Saidia of Eri-TV and Saleh Al Jezaeeri of the Voice of the Broad Masses radio station. Finally Simret Seyoum, editor of the newspaper Setit, was arrested on 6 January near the Sudanese border as he was trying to flee. He was believed to be detained in a prison in that area. News EritreaAfrica January 13, 2021 Find out more Swedish prosecutors again refuse to investigate Dawit Isaak case Reports RSF_en News October 27, 2020 Find out more
Weather alert in place for Donegal Previous articleStill no date for full service restoration at Seaview HouseNext articleIrish Water slammed over unfinished Letterkenny road News Highland Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Homepage BannerNews Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Google+ WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Facebook WhatsApp Google+ Pinterest Twitter Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Facebook Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows By News Highland – January 15, 2020 Pinterest Met Eireann is warning of gusts of up to 100 kilometres an hour on the north west coast today. A yellow wind warning is in place for Donegal, Galway and Mayo until six o’clock this evening.It’s in the aftermath of Storm Brendan, which hit Ireland on Monday. Publicans in Republic watching closely as North reopens further
– Advertisement – – Advertisement – The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration is in the final stages of reviewing proposed changes to Boeing‘s 737 Max and expects to complete the process in the “coming days,” the agency’s chief told Reuters on Monday.Three sources briefed on the matter told Reuters the FAA is set to approve the plane’s ungrounding as early as Nov 18. FAA Administrator Steve Dickson told Reuters in a statement that he expects “this process will be finished in the coming days, once the agency is satisfied that Boeing has addressed” safety issues involved in two fatal crashes that killed 346 people. – Advertisement – Boeing declined to comment.The ungrounding would be a vital step in a still-arduous path to recovery for Boeing, plunged into its worst-ever crisis by the crashes and the worldwide grounding of its best-selling plane in March 2019.“The FAA continues to engage with aviation authorities around the world as they prepare to validate our certification decision,” Dickson said.- Advertisement – A Boeing 737 MAX jet lands near grounded 737 MAX planes following Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) test flight at Boeing Field in Seattle, Washington on June 29, 2020.Jason Redmond | AFP | Getty Images “As I have said many times before, the agency will take the time that it needs to thoroughly review the remaining work. Even though we are near the finish line, I will lift the grounding order only after our safety experts are satisfied that the aircraft meets certification standards.”Following the FAA green light, airlines must complete software updates and fresh pilot training, a process that will take at least 30 days, before the planes can return to the skies.Southwest Airlines LUV.N, the world’s largest Max operator, has said it would take several months to comply with the FAA requirements and that it does not plan to schedule flights on the aircraft until the second quarter of 2021.The grounding has cost the U.S. planemaker billions, hobbled its supply chain, and triggered investigations that faulted Boeing and the FAA for a lack of transparency and weak oversight during the jet’s development, among other problems.A Justice Department criminal investigation is ongoing.