The Government is looking at decriminalising abortion and making it a health issue.The protestors say abortion means taking a life and should be treated as such. Hundreds of pro-life advocates take to Wellington’s streets in opposition of abortion reformStuff co.nz 8 December 2018 Several pro-life organisations have joined forces to ensure their voices are heard when it comes to the hot-button topic of abortion.Organised by five groups, the March for Life – touted as a counter-protest to this a similar pro-choice event earlier in the week – drew a large crowd to Wellington’s Te Ngākau Civic Square on Saturday.The several-hundred-strong crowd then marched through the central city to the grounds of Parliament to listen to a number of speeches by family advocates and National Party MPs, including Simon O’Connor and Alfred Ngaro.The march comes on the back of the Labour-led Government’s proposal to remove abortion from the Crimes Act, as well as a Law Commission report into the topic earlier this year.In October, the commission released its briefing paper examining alternatives to abortion law, following Justice Minister Andrew Little’s proposal to make abortion a health issue rather than a criminal one.READ MORE: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/109200149/hundreds-of-prolife-advocates-take-to-wellingtons-streets-in-opposition-of-abortion-reform Sir Bill English joins anti-abortion activists in march through WellingtonNewsHub 8 December 2018 Sir Bill English was among more than a thousand anti-abortion campaigners who marched through Wellington on Saturday afternoon.The former prime minister joined MPs and GPs to take over Wellington’s busiest shopping street as the debate over taking abortion out of the Crimes Act picks up steam.It’s the second year the March for Life has been held in Wellington – last year’s marked 40 years since the passing of the Act that allowed abortions to become more easily available. Organisers say this year the crowd was double the size.“We’ve had forty years of abortion, over 500,000 children have been legally aborted, and why aren’t we looking at that and talking about that and listening to people’s voices who’ve been affected?” asked protestor Kate Cormack.“It’s pretty exciting that people are interested and want to get out and come from all over New Zealand to be part of that.”READ MORE: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/politics/2018/12/sir-bill-english-joins-anti-abortion-activists-in-march-through-wellington.html Abortion protesters: ‘We will not be silent’Radio NZ News 8 December 2018A sea of banners and balloons covered Parliament grounds in Wellington at an anti-abortion rally this afternoon.About 1200 people, including former prime minister Sir Bill English, were at the rally.Justice Minister Andrew Little has previously said he wanted to decriminalise abortion and make it simpler to get one.Speakers at the rally, including National MPs Simon O’Connor and Alfred Ngaro, urged the crowd to work to oppose and defeat such changes.Mr O’Connor said people should stand up for what they believed in.“I hope with your voices, we will not be silent. We will always stand for life – a consistent ethic of life.“We will be proud, and we will never stop fighting.”READ MORE: https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/377829/abortion-protesters-we-will-not-be-silent Hundreds march to Parliament in rally against abortionTVNZ One News 8 December 2018Hundreds have marched to Parliament today in a rally against abortion.The ‘March for Life’ was protesting against a proposal to change abortion laws. Christian groups and politicians, Including former prime minister Sir Bill English, made up the crowd.https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/hundreds-march-parliament-in-rally-against-abortion
Andrew Boguslawski, admitted to explosive charges in Ohio.An attorney for a Moores Hill man who pleaded guilty to having explosive devices in his car in Ohio is asking for a lighter sentence.Andrew Boguslawski was arrested after he was stopped for speeding by an Ohio state trooper on I-70 on New Year’s Day.Prosecutors said he had nine unregistered bombs in his car and four devices that be converted into explosives.He admitted to the charges earlier this year and now his lawyer is seeking a reduced sentence.Defense attorney Steve Nolder is asking for credit for time served in the county jail followed by 18 months of house arrest. Nolder said his defendant is not a future threat to society and the sentence would ensure he is rehabilitated.Boguslawski could be sentenced up to 10 years in prison and receive a $250,000 fine. The hearing is scheduled for Aug. 8 in federal court in Columbus.
However, with restrictions set relax when the 2020-21 campaign begins in September, stadiums across the country could allow a percentage of fans to return. With La Liga suspended since March, the Spanish giants have brought forward the scheduled redevelopment of their 81,004 seater home ground. The project has progressed rapidly in recent weeks, with Los Blancos now confident of a partial reopening later in the year, according to reports from Marca. Read Also: La Liga: Messi on fire as Barca step up preparations for restart With the Santiago Bernabeu out of action this summer, Real Madrid will complete the season at the Estadio Alfredo Di Stefano. The 6,000 capacity stadium is based at the club’s training complex in Valdebebas in the north east of Madrid. Current public health guidelines surrounding coronavirus mean all remaining league games in 2019-20 will be played behind closed doors, as the season resumes on June 11.Advertisement Real Madrid will push ahead with ambitious plans to allow 30% of their fans to return to the renovated Estadio Santiago Bernabeu by October. Loading…
At the plate, the Trojans had difficulties catching up to UCI’s starter, freshman lefty Nick Pinto, who limited USC to just two hits and no runs over his six innings of work. “It’s definitely a learning experience, all of us are new together,” Gill said. “So we’re all kind of learning together, so I think they’re frustrated. I’m frustrated a little bit.” The USC baseball team failed to get on the scoreboard until it was too late Tuesday evening, falling to UC Irvine 5-1. The Trojans are now riding a three-game losing streak against the Anteaters. Gursky, unlucky to find himself in line for a loss after such a strong performance, was relieved by sophomore righty Ethan Reed in the seventh inning. The game was broken open shortly after by way of a 3-run homer by senior outfielder John Jensen to put UCI up 4-0. “I think we have the best hitting team in the [Pac-12], hands down,” Gursky said. “You can’t bring your hitting every day, but our guys no doubt are going to bounce back.” Neither team was particularly sharp at the plate as the teams combined for 21 strikeouts and no extra-base hits aside from the lone home run of the evening from UCI. “Where we didn’t go well tonight was our offense,” head coach Jason Gill said after the game. “We struck out 10 times on a Tuesday. I’ll tip my cap to their pitcher but we have to do better than that.” The Trojans will host three ranked opponents over the weekend, facing off against No. 22 TCU Friday and No. 2 Vanderbilt Saturday before a matchup with crosstown rival No. 6 UCLA at Dedeaux Field Sunday. USC will be back in action starting Friday in the annual Southern California College Baseball Classic in Los Angeles against a stacked lineup of elite programs. USC kicks off the action Friday against TCU. First pitch is set for 6 p.m., Saturday’s game will start at 2 p.m. and Sunday’s weekend finale begins at 3 p.m. Sophomore righty Ethan Reed allowed a 3-run home run in the seventh inning against UC Irvine Tuesday. USC fell to the Anteaters 5-1. (James Wolfe | Daily Trojan) UCI tacked on an additional insurance run in the top half of the ninth, extending its lead to 5-0 heading into the final half-inning. The Trojans tacked on a run in the ninth, but their comeback attempt fell short as they finished the game with just four hits combined over nine innings. The junior lefty’s troubles came in the sixth, however, as UCI managed to load the bases on Gursky without recording a hit. An error, a hit by pitch and an intentional walk loaded the bases with just one out for the Anteaters in the top half of the inning. Gursky worked out of the jam to limit UCI to just one run on a deep sacrifice fly in his final inning of work. The USC baseball team will be tested this weekend in the Southern California College Baseball Classic. (Colin Huang | Daily Trojan) “At the end of the game we didn’t give up, we got a run right there at the end,” Gursky said. “We wish we got the win but at the end of the day there’s some positives we can learn from and take going forward into a tough weekend we’re about to have.” The loss moves the Trojans to a mark of 4-4 at home this season and 7-4 overall. Despite the outcome, junior lefty Brian Gursky pitched well in his second appearance on the hill for the Trojans this season, his first coming in USC’s 7-1 win at Cal State Fullerton on Feb. 25. Gursky pitched six hitless innings, striking out six of the first nine batters he faced. TCU comes in at 10-2 overall after sweeping Cal in a three-game series last weekend. The 2019 NCAA Champion Vanderbilt Commodores head into the weekend’s trio of games at 11-3 overall on the season with just one loss in their last 11 games. UCLA will come into the weekend looking to avenge its first loss this season, falling to UCSB on Tuesday. The Bruins still carry an 11-1 record and remain a favorite to compete for the Pac-12 title this year. “[Gursky] had command of three pitches,” Gill said. “He was down in the strike zone, so when they did put the ball in play it was usually chopped ground balls at our middle infield. He was great.”