Tag: 夜上海论坛EK

Ocean City to Spend $2.7 Million to Haul Away Dredge Spoils

first_imgShallow water at the end of the lagoon along W. 17th Street.Ocean City will spend about $2.7 million to start bringing boating and swimming at low tide back to the bay.In a unanimous vote Thursday with no discussion, City Council awarded a $2,689,000 contract to Wickberg Marine Contracting Inc. of Belford, N.J., to remove material from an approved dredging disposal site in the marshes near the 34th Street causeway.Many bayside lagoons and channels are extremely shallow or dry during the hours surrounding low tide, and all work to dredge the bay to make it deeper has been at a standstill since 2012. That’s when a dredging contractor had to stop in the middle of a job, because the city’s only approved spoils site was filled to capacity.The new contract calls for Wickberg Marine to haul material away from the site to make room for new dredging projects.“This resolution is going to get us started. We’ve been stuck in the mud a little bit,” Mayor Jay Gillian said, apologizing for the pun.__________Sign up for OCNJ Daily’s free newsletter and breaking news alerts__________The mayor said city officials met last Friday with regulators from the state Department of Environmental Protection and federal Army Corps of Engineers officials to continue to discuss more cost-effective and environmentally safe ways to dispose of dredged material.The $2.7 million contract would free up only 40,000 cubic yards and include no actual dredging.By comparison, the 2012 project that was never completed removed 73,000 cubic yards of dredged material under a $1.8 million contract that called for the dredging of 106,000 cubic yards between 15th and 34th streets. The mayor estimated earlier this year that it would take 300,000 cubic yards to dredge Ocean City from “tip to tip.”Gillian said the new work would allow the city to “finish what we started” between 15th and 34th streets, as the city works with regulators to figure out a way to make spoils sites more truck accessible.The contractor will have to move spoils from the site by barge and take it to Wildwood, where it will be used to help cap a landfill. Wildwood will accept the material with the contractor paying $14 a cubic yard.City Council has approved $5 million ($4.75 million of it to be borrowed) in spending for dredging this year. If the contract is approved, that would leave $2.3 million for actual dredging work. TA separate spoils site near the Ninth Street Bridge is approved, but for an amount (4,000 to 6,000 cubic yards) far less than what Ocean City had anticipated.e reconstructed as part of a multiyear project between Fifth and 12th streets, but will need to be strong enough to accommodate trucks and heavy equipment headed for the Music Pier.last_img read more

Syracuse beats Lehigh, 9-2

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on February 25, 2017 at 10:36 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] Syracuse (7-5) beat Lehigh (3-1) Saturday evening, 9-2. One day after getting swept in a doubleheader on Friday, when SU struggled to score, the Orange notched 14 hits against Lehigh.Syracuse shelled Lehigh starting pitcher, Parker Boyd, who lasted only three innings and gave up all nine runs to the Orange.Bryce Holmgren continued her streak as SU’s best hitter. She went 4-4 at the plate, slashing a double, two RBIs and a run scored. The sophomore transfer is batting .462.Holmgren, Sammy Fernandez, Sydney O’Hara, and Alyssa Dewes each collected at least two hits on Saturday. In the circle, AnneMarie Gatti and O’Hara combined to toss nine strikeouts, allowing only three hits each.Errors continued to plague Syracuse, as second baseman Alicia Hansen made two and third baseman Hannah Dossett made one. Gatti and O’Hara combined to allow six walks, too. But the pair pitched well under pressure, leaving 13 Lehigh players on base.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textAlso on Saturday, SU played an unmarked exhibition game against the Czech Republic National Team. Syracuse plays its final two games of the Citrus Classic on Sunday, with the first coming against Elon at 9:30 a.m., followed by Morgan State at 11:45 a.m. Commentslast_img read more

FREED: MAN WHO MURDERED YOUNG DONEGAL WOMAN IS BACK ON THE STREETS

first_imgA man who butchered and killed a young Letterkenny woman has been released from prison just eight years into his 12 year sentence for another crime.Callous Conor Downey, 47, murdered innocent Suzanne Reddan in a London flat they shared in 1988.She was not found until 1992 after Downey confessed to police in England that he had strangled her. Parts of her body were discovered but her torso was never found.Downey served just three years in jail for the horrific murder of the young Donegal woman.When he left jail he returned to his native Cork.In 2004, Downey was then sentenced to 12 years in jail after being found guilty of attempted rape and indecent assault of a young woman.Just a few months after Downey strangled Suzanne Reddan in 1988, he broke into the Cork woman’s home and attacked her as she lay sleeping.He beat her so savagely that gardaí thought she was wearing a horror mask. He also attempted to rape and sexually assault her.Downey was never charged with this crime and returned to Cor in the 1990s.In 2000 however, 11 years after the sexual assault on the Cork woman, he was linked to the crime using fingerprint and DNA samples.Superintendent Brian Calnan told the Central Criminal Court that Downey was also convicted of assaulting a doctor who had collected blood samples from him.In January 2004 Mr Justice Kevin O’Higgins jailed Downey for 12 years. He suspended the final year of the sentence.Downey was released form prison last November and is living in Douglas, Co Cork.© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law.Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailySell anything on www.donegaldailyclassifieds.comFREED: MAN WHO MURDERED YOUNG DONEGAL WOMAN IS BACK ON THE STREETS was last modified: January 17th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Conor DowneyletterkennySuzanne Reddanlast_img read more