A Donegal County Councillor has urged the government to get on with providing further funding for the Greencastle Breakwater project instead of completing ‘half a job’. Cllr Martin Farren was speaking after three yachts were damaged in the area last week following a heavy storm.One of the yachts in question was a 33-foot vessel, while two other yachts, including a pleasure cruiser, were also heavily damaged. Moville man, Farren, said damage to the yachts would have been avoidable if the Breakwater project in Greencastle had been completed.He told Donegal Daily: “Just short of €10million has already been spent on the Breakwater Project in 2010, when the then government put the project on hold due to the financial difficulty the country found itself in.“However, we were given an assurance that once that difficulty had finished and things began to pick up, that we would get further funding for the project.“And now, almost a decade later, it is going to take at least another €10million to complete the project. “Donegal County Council is obliged to pay 25% of that and in fairness, they have already committed to that 25%, there is no problem there.“I have travelled to Dublin on numerous occasions with the Greencastle Harbour Users Association, the Derry Port and Harbour and a number of other representatives to meet officials in an attempt to get the Breakwater project up and running again.”The Inishowen Councillor is now urging Donegal representatives across the county, especially those in the Oireachtas, to apply pressure on the government before the upcoming budget.He continued: “The breakwater really needs to be completed because there are major plans for the area in the near future in terms of tourism.“What we would like to see happening is an actual extension to the Greencastle Harbour built, but in order for these plans tp materialise the Breakwater project needs to be completed. “And if the government fail in supplying further funding then they might as well of threw the €10million already spent into the Foyle.“You cannot leave a job half done, the breakwater is needed for the protection of vessels in the harbour.“It is extremely important that all of the Oireachtas members from Donegal ensure that money is kept aside in the upcoming budget for the project, it is a vital importance.“We need to be singing of the one hymn sheet in relation to this matter because it is going on for far too long.” ‘Greencastle Breakwater project completion is of vital importance’ – Cllr was last modified: August 18th, 2019 by Shaun KeenanShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
A hardcore criminal, Siva Shankar Panigrahi alias Jitu Kana, was nabbed after an exchange of fire with police at the Purunagada bypass near Jeypore in Odisha’s Koraput district on Tuesday.According to the police, a countrymade revolver along with live ammunition was seized from him. No one was injured in the incident although Panigrahi fired two rounds at the police.Acting on a tip-off, a police team tracked down Panigrahi and his associate near the bypass around 4.45 a.m. The duo was travelling on a motorbike. In a bid to escape they fired at the police. While Panigrahi was nabbed, his accomplice managed to escape. Panigrahi is named in a number of criminal cases. He was among the dacoits who had managed to escape following an exchange of fire with the police at Gopabandhu Nagar in Jeypore on August 18.
Rebuffing the Maharashtra government’s pleas for restraint, veteran anti-graft activist Anna Hazare on Wednesday commenced on an indefinite hunger strike at his village in Ralegan Siddhi in Maharashtra’s Ahmednagar district over the Centre’s failure to appoint the elusive Lokpal and resolve farmers’ problems.The octogenarian Mr. Hazare, who has a history of ‘hunger agitations’, hit out at Prime Minister Narendra Modi, accusing him of “deceiving the people” with false promises of appointing the Lokpal at the Centre and Lokayuktas across the States. The activist, who began his fast on the occasion of Mahatma Gandhi’s death anniversary, has refused to budge until the Modi government immediately came out with an ordinance to appoint ombudsmen at the Centre and the States.Mr. Hazare further demanded that Centre implement the Swaminathan Commission report for agrarian reforms and establish social security measures for farmers.“It has been more than five years since the Lokpal Bill became the Lokpal and Lokayuktas Act, 2013. Yet, the Act has not been implemented… Narendra Modi has been hoodwinking the people of this country despite the Supreme Court rapping him thrice on this account. But such is the PM’s arrogance that he chooses to ignore even the apex court,” Mr. Hazare said.“The Swaminathan Committee recommendations have been hanging fire till date. Farmers have no security today. They are committing suicide in droves and yet this [BJP] government continues with its hollow promises of loan waiver,” he added.However, Mr. Hazare stated that his fast was not directed towards any individual or political party, but was solely for the benefit of the country and society.Maharashtra amends Lokayukta ActEarlier on Tuesday, the Devendra Fadnavis government, in a bid to preempt Mr. Hazare’s agitation, had amended the 1971 Lokayukta Act to bring the office of the Chief Minister in the ambit of State’s ombudsman, the Lokayukta.However, State Water Resources Minister Girish Mahajan, who had successfully placated Mr. Hazare in the past, was forced to cancel his visit to Ralegan Siddhi on Wednesday after the activist refused to meet him.“I have asked him [Mr. Mahajan] not to come this time and waste his time…the keys for resolving this [Lokayukta implementation] imbroglio is in Delhi and he [Girish Mahajan] cannot solve this issue,” said Mr. Hazare.However, speaking in Mumbai, Mr. Mahajan said he was hopeful that the matter would be resolved soon and that Mr. Hazare would be pacified.On January 28, Mr. Hazare had warned Mr. Modi of his intention of going on a hunger strike over the non-implementation of the Lokpal Act.