Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury relished the opportunity to talk up their British rivalry as they received the go-ahead for an undisputed world title clash next year.The WBC has confirmed Fury has no restrictions to prevent a blockbuster battle with Joshua after WBC mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte suffered a shock loss to Alexander Povetkin last weekend.Mauricio Sulaiman, the WBC president, has revealed how Joshua was in line for a WBC title fight earlier in his career, but the governing body would still welcome a fight between their belt holder and the WBA, IBF and WBO champion. Sulaiman told Sky Sports: “Joshua fought for the IBF title when he was WBC No 2, and he received an opportunity, so we understand and appreciate that he got an opportunity and went in a different direction, however, the WBC was the first organisation to rank him, ranking in the top 10, top five.“We knew the value of Joshua.“Joshua to do an ultimate unification with Wilder, if he wins, or Fury if he retains, would be magnanimous.”Unified champion Joshua remains confident he can topple Fury, predicting how he would overpower the WBC champion during an appearance on ‘A League of Their Own.’“First six, I know I’m going to take him out,” said Joshua. “I’ve had a shorter career, so I’m fresher. Been in the deep end longer, so I’m used to the pressure.“I believe I’m going to handle the pressure and I’m going to take him out.”“I believe I’m better than Wilder, faster, whatever you want to call it. I reckon I’m going to be doing this for another 10 years.”Fury made a typically swift response on social media, saying: “I would batter Joshua inside the first round.”Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
by Dakotah Davis, Newscow.net â€“ A 22-year-old Wellington man – visiting the United States from Estonia for the summer – has been identified as the person killed Friday night in an accident 10 miles north of Winfield.Jaan Sepp was dead at the scene of the accident, which occurred around 9:30 p.m. The Kansas Highway Patrol report listed a Wellington address for Sepp, who was driving a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero. He had allegedly been selling books in Wellington. Estonia is a country south of Finland which was once the former Soviet Union.Â Sepp was eastbound on K-15 as he neared the junction with U.S. 77 highway. He failed to stop at the stop sign and struck the rear trailer of a 1999 Volvo grain hauler.Sepp was wearing his seat belt.Michael J. Frakes, 29, Douglass, was identified as the driver of the grain truck. He was not injured in the accident.Sepp was trapped in the vehicle for a time, according to radio traffic from the scene.Authorities notified his sister, who lives in this area, of the manâ€™s death. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments
In addition, the city and county will provide other investments totaling $29 million: $12 million for on-site public improvements; $10 million for affordable housing; $5 million for off-site improvements; and $2 million for streetscape. “It seems to me that the city and county and the CRA have their spending priorities totally upside down,” said Jon Coupal, president of the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association. “We find that kind of corporate welfare to be highly offensive to ordinary taxpaying citizens.” Chief Legislative Analyst Gerry Miller said the project is similar to other investments the city has made in Staples Center, the l.a.live downtown complex and a Hollywood and Highland redevelopment project. “What we are looking for are catalyst projects – those that help bring other economic development to an area,” Miller said. “If you look at Staples Center, it helped generate other economic investment in the area. “We think the same thing will happen here.” Miller said the amount being invested would be more than made up by revenue coming in as the project is built, in addition to community benefits such as job training, labor agreements and affordable housing. Officials estimated that the project would create 29,000 construction jobs and 5,900 permanent jobs. But Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich estimates that all three phases of the project will require up to $176 million in public subsidies. “Supervisor Antonovich is disappointed that the board voted for a deal that is better for the developer than it is for the taxpayers of the county of Los Angeles,” said Paul Novak, a spokesman for Antonovich, who voted against the project. “And it is a sad day when the board makes a political decision, rather than an economic decision, when it should be protecting taxpayers.” Still, Broad noted that the project is expected to generate $148 million in lease payments to the county and city over 99 years, including $50 million in prepaid rent the developer has promised to pay for the park. Broad compared those revenues with those of the two city- and county-owned parcels, valued at $138 million. The only public opposition to the project at both the City Council and Board of Supervisors meetings came from a representative of the Bonaventure Hotel. Attorney Christopher Sutton said the hotel was prepared to go to court to challenge the bed-tax waiver as being unfair to existing hotels and violating previously approved plans for the Bunker Hill area. “What you are selling out by going forward with this project is hundreds of millions of dollars (in future tax revenues),” Sutton said. No violation of plans But Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said he doesn’t believe approval of the project violates previously approved plans for Bunker Hill. “I don’t think it’s as nefarious as what the attorney had tried to make it sound,” he said. Maria Elena Durazo, secretary-treasurer of the Los Angeles County Federation of Labor, AFL-CIO, said the project is an example of what the city can do when business and labor work together. “This is the kind of thing that can come when we work with a common goal,” Durazo said. Councilman Dennis Zine said he wanted to make sure that the project would not mean a reduction of services to residents of the San Fernando Valley. “Can you assure them that this will not mean less services to the Valley?” Zine asked Miller. “It will not cost the city general fund any money or reduce existing services,” Miller replied. “In fact, we think it will generate additional money for the general fund and we are looking to see where a similar model can be used in the San Fernando Valley and elsewhere.” Supervisor Gloria Molina, who chaired the Grand Avenue Authority, also said the project will serve as a model for other redevelopment projects. “Yes, it may look like it’s going to cost us something, but at the end of the day, we’ll have a very significant project – but more importantly, a very significant model that speaks to how we should move collectively together and join in partnership with developers and inspirational leaders.” [email protected] (213) 974-8985160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “This is truly a historic day,” Grand Avenue Committee Chairman Eli Broad said. “We believe this project is a win-win for everybody.” Construction on the first phase is expected to start later this year, with completion in about four years. But the project will come with a price tag, as the city’s chief legislative analyst has said it will require $95 million in taxpayer funds plus $30 million in public improvements to build the luxury hotel. That includes $60.5 million in hotel bed-tax revenue, $5.5 million in parking taxes, $24.4 million from the Community Redevelopment Agency and $4.6 million from the county. Additional costs Pursuing a vision of a world-class civic heart for downtown Los Angeles, city and county officials officially signed off Tuesday on final approvals for the $2.05 billion revitalization of Grand Avenue. Despite concerns that the project would cost millions of dollars in public subsidies, the City Council voted 13-0 to support the Frank Gehry-designed redevelopment effort. The county Board of Supervisors also voted 4-1 Tuesday to approve final terms and environmental impact reports for the project, which has been more than two years in the making. It has been hailed as key to igniting a bustling night life on three acres across from the Walt Disney Concert Hall with shops, restaurants, parks, condominiums and a luxury hotel.