Tag: 上海夜网RY

Former women’s soccer player Rickan to play basketball at SUNY Buffalo next year

first_imgFormer Syracuse University women’s soccer player Jenna Rickan has gained a fifth year of eligibility and will play basketball at SUNY Buffalo next year, she announced on Twitter on Monday night.Rickan, who tallied six goals and nine assists in her four-year Syracuse soccer career, is listed as a 5-foot-9 guard on the Buffalo website. She starred on the basketball court for Kenmore West High School in Buffalo, where she became the program’s career scoring leader and the first player to surpass 1,000 points. In her senior season, she was named to the All-Western New York basketball team by The Buffalo News.“When soccer ended it was bittersweet, ready for it to be over,” Rickan said. “But I missed being part of a team and I wanted to go to UB for grad school because I wanted to be home.”At SU, Rickan was a key in helping turn around the women’s soccer program. In her freshman season in 2009, the Orange went 5-11-3. In her senior season this year, the team finished 9-7-2 and lost to Notre Dame in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament. Rickan, a forward, finished tied for 10th place on SU’s career assists list with nine.“The last month (while at Syracuse) I started to play basketball I would say a little bit more just for fun up at Archbold (Gymnasium)… I started to realize I love basketball and I wasn’t half bad even if I haven’t played in a couple of years.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textWith encouragement from her family and former coaches at Kenmore West, Rickan sent the coaches at Buffalo an email. Rickan eventually sent the coaches video from her high school career. They offered her a May 14 tryout — two days after SU’s Sunday graduation.  There, four coaches ran Rickan through ball-handling and shooting drills.The next day, she was offered a spot on the team.“Coach Felisha (Legette-Jack), she was able to give me the chance to give the desire to my heart,” Rickan said. “I feel like God has put my heart to be there to actually do it. So it’s a pretty cool opportunity.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on June 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm Contact Josh: [email protected]last_img read more

Jim Boeheim and Leonard Hamilton discuss Syracuse-Florida State matchup on ACC coaches teleconference

first_img Published on February 8, 2016 at 1:05 pm Contact Matt: [email protected] | @matt_schneidman After back-to-back losses to Louisville and Pittsburgh toward the end of January, Florida State has reeled off four consecutive wins heading into Thursday’s game against Syracuse.The Seminoles (16-7, 6-5 Atlantic Coast) are tied with the Orange (16-8, 6-5) in the middle of the conference standings and will visit the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m. to spell SU from reaching double-digit off days since its win over Virginia Tech last Tuesday.Syracuse is on a streak of its own, having won three consecutive games while allowing an average of just 61 points over that span.“The defense is as good as it’s been,” FSU head coach Leonard Hamilton said of Syracuse on Monday’s ACC coaches’ teleconference. “One of the top defensive teams in the league.”The Seminoles are fourth in the ACC in points per game during league play. FSU posts an average of 75.5 per contest and its high-powered offense will match up against the third-best defense in the conference in the Orange (64.3 point per game allowed in ACC play).AdvertisementThis is placeholder textHamilton has five first-year rotation players at his disposal, two of which lead the team in scoring. Freshman Malik Beasley is fourth in the conference with 17.3 points per game and freshman Dwayne Bacon chips in 16.2 points per contest.“They got so many guys that can score,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said on the teleconference. “They’ve got tremendous offensive talent.”Ten Seminole players see an average of over 10 minutes per game with no single player averaging more than 30. They also have seven players grabbing over three rebounds per contest and 10 players shooting more than 42 percent from the field.Despite the youth on his hands, Hamilton has made it mesh with Beasley and Bacon at the forefront.“It’s a challenge any time you try to integrate that many first-year players into your rotation,” Hamilton said.“I think they’ve got three guys that are going to be first-round draft picks,” Boeheim said.Since SU’s head coach returned from his suspension, the Orange is 6-2. It stifled one of the nation’s best offenses just over a week ago in a 15-point win against Notre Dame. Up against another of the ACC’s top scoring teams, Syracuse will have to reach into its defensive arsenal once again to continue its hot streak.“Coach Boeheim has come back with this team and he’s rejuvenated them,” Hamilton said, “and they’re playing awfully well.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

DR Congo AFCON in turmoil as Coach Leroy quits

first_imgDR Congo are in disarray just two days before they start their 2013 Africa Cup of Nations campaign after coach Claude Le Roy resigned, MTNFootball.com can exclusively reveal.The Frenchman slapped in his resignation letter on Thursday night citing his side’s bad organisation for his decision to quit the side.Insiders in the Congolese camp told MTNFootball.com that LeRoy was angry with the federation over the bonuses of the players which has affected morale in camp.The development leaves the Leopards in turmoil just two days before they open their Group B campaign against Ghana in Port Elizabeth.His decision to quit the side has the full support of all the players in the team, according to a report carried on Nyota TV.The coach was already gravely unhappy as he had to spend time chasing visas for his players and other duties which he has been forced to perform. But the uncertainty surrounding the team’s bonuses for the Africa Cup of Nations forced the Frenchman to handover his resignation letter to Theo Binamungu, the federation’s member in charge of the national team in Port Elizabeth where the Leopards are based.LeRoy resigned along with his assistant Sebastian Migne in his letter addressed to DR Congo head of state President Joseph Kabila.The news has also has been reported by the official website of TP Mazembe who have several players in the DR Congo squad for the tournament.It is not certain if the Frenchman has left the team’s camp in Port Elizabeth.The 64-year-old Le Roy was in his second spell in charge of the Leopards. LeRoy coached DR Congo to the 2006 Nations Cup but then decided against renewing his contact in April that year.The Leopards are a traditional powerhouse of African football, having won the Africa Cup of Nations in 1968 and 1974DR Congo are in Group B along with Ghana, Mali and Niger and, under Le Roy, who won the Nations Cup with Cameroon in 1988 and led Ghana to third place in 2008.last_img read more

SOCU interrogates MP, former GRDB officials

first_img– Nandlall dismisses charges as frivolous, maliciousBy Ramona LuthiSix persons were on Thursday afternoon summoned by the Special Organised Crime Unit (SOCU) for questioning in relation to the Guyana Rice Development Board’s (GRDB’s) operations during the years 2011 to 2015. They were later charged and bailed for fraudulent omission of records in regard to the lucrative PetroCaribe Fund.The former GRDB officials making their way to SOCU headquarters, accompanied by their lawyers on ThursdayThe six are former GRDB General Manager Jagnarine Singh; former Deputy GRDB General Manager Rickey Ramraj; Badrie Persaud of the Guyana Oil Company; former Deputy Permanent Secretary (Finance) of the Ministry of Agriculture, Prema Roopnarine; PPP Parliamentarian Nigel Dharamlall; and head of the Rice Producers Association, Dharamkumar Seeraj.Guyana Times was told that each of these persons had received a telephone call informing them that they were being charged, and instructing that they report to the Special Organised Crime Unit’s (SOCU’s) Headquarters. They were not immediately told of their offence, but after several hours of interrogation by SOCU officials, they were then transported to the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) to have their fingerprints taken, before being taken to the Brickdam Police Station to be charged and placed on station bail.They are all expected to be arraigned in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts today, Friday, May 20 2017.While none of them was allowed a chance to interact with the media, former Attorney General Anil Nandlall, representing some of them, explained that the charges “concerned the failure to make certain entries in relation to monies received through a foreign-funded project.”He described the situation as “harassment”, and advised the affected persons to sue the state for compensation, since, he said, he believes the matter is frivolous and he is certain that no conviction would be made therefrom.“Public monies have to be better spent! This (that) you’re seeing here is costing the state millions of dollars. This will have to go to court; it will take months in the court and it will never yield a conviction; and a properly advised person charged in these circumstances would be advised to sue the state for compensation, because this is nothing short of malicious prosecution,” Nandlall told media operatives.The former AG also lamented that there was no evidence to support claims that the six persons had intended to commit fraud by the omission of records.“There is no evidence that this money was missing; that the money was not spent for the purpose for which it was disbursed. In fact, the money was spent for the purpose for which it was disbursed,” he explained.Nandlall criticised SOCU for levelling charges against these six persons in regard to the omission of “a ceremonial entry into the record.” He said the accountants should rather have been charged.“Absolute nonsense! This is absolute harassment! Why is it that [they’re] putting people through this ordeal: damaging their character, putting their family and them through anguish and through suffering just because (they) have the power to do so?” he questioned.During the early part of 2017, it had been reported that false and misleading statements were being sent to the Governments of Guyana and Venezuela by the former General Manager of the GRDB in order to obtain monies from the PetroCaribe Fund. The fund was established almost a decade ago, when Venezuela introduced an oil sale arrangement wherein Guyana and a number of CARICOM and Latin America countries took oil at concessionary rates, paid a percentage in advance and protracted payment of the balance over a 20-year period. The PetroCaribe Fund was supposed to hold millions of US dollars.Inconsistencies in this Fund was just one of several financial irregularities highlighted by Nigel Hinds Financial Services in the forensic audit it had done for the period 2011 to 2015.Natural Resources Minister Raphael Trotman had noted that, based on the audit report, millions of dollars had passed through the accounting unit of the GRDB. He highlighted that the “glaring” financial irregularities uncovered by the auditors had no “no traceable signs that (they) were ever approved”.last_img read more

China Confronts Indian Warship

last_img