The idea of a telephone call between Trump and Biden, who is self-isolating at home like much of the country, had been in the air for days.Last week, Trump said he’d “love to speak with” Biden, adding, “I always found him to be a nice guy.”On Thursday, Biden responded that he was “happy to hear he’ll take my call.”But if Republican Trump sat all weekend by the phone, he was left disappointed — and by Monday morning the pair were back to trading barbs.”What ever happened to that phone call he told the Fake News he wanted to make to me?” Trump complained on Twitter.Gone was the “nice guy” description — the tone was back to Trump’s default mode when it comes to Biden, whom he has claimed to be losing his mental faculties, smeared with corruption allegations, and nicknamed “Sleepy Joe.”Mocking Biden’s suggestion that the Democrats may have to hold their nominating convention online if coronavirus remains a threat this summer, Trump insinuated Biden was dodging having to appear in public.Hitting back on Twitter, Biden told Trump that whether the Democratic convention is safe to stage or not will “depend on you stepping up and doing what needs to be done to handle this pandemic.”Despite the bickering, the two men still had each other’s numbers. Democrat Joe Biden and President Donald Trump finally spoke by phone Monday, both sides confirmed, ending days of teasing and squabbling between the presidential election rivals to discuss the national coronavirus upheaval.The call marked a rare moment of unity for the country seven months before election day and during a frightening health and economic crisis. “We had a really wonderful warm conversation,” centered on the pandemic, Trump said at a regular briefing by his coronavirus task force. Topics : “He gave me his point of view and I fully understood that,” Trump said, adding they spoke for about 15 minutes. “I appreciate his calling.”Biden’s communication director confirmed the two men had “a good call.”Biden “shared several suggestions for actions” the administration can take “to address the ongoing coronavirus pandemic,” Kate Bedingfield said on Twitter.He also “expressed his appreciation for the spirit of the American people in meeting the challenges facing the nation,” she added.
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo says he will work to be the best player of all time after being presented with his third European Golden Boot award.The 29-year-old was speaking at a lavish ceremony in Madrid where he received the trophy for being the joint top scorer last season in Europe, along with Luis Suarez, having hit 31 goals.”I always try to do things well and not just last season. I always want to do better,” said Ronaldo.”The last five years have been very good and the last two have been a little bit better. I don’t want to just be the best in Portugal, I want to be the best ever and I will work to be that. After that it is down to individual opinions.”In my profession I want to be the best, and I am making a name for myself step by step. When my career ends I want to see the statistics and I want to see if I am among the best ever.”I am sure I will be.” The World Player of the Year, who also won the Golden Boot in the 2007-08 and 2010-11 seasons, has had a glittering career with both Manchester United and Real and he helped the latter to win their tenth European Cup last season.”To win the third Golden Boot is like winning the first. I am very happy, it is a special day and I want to share it with the people that have helped me,” said Ronaldo.”Everyone talks about whether this is the best Madrid side and I suppose at the end we will know – if we win nothing or we are the best. I believe that we will win a lot. We are working well with the coach (Carlo Ancelotti).”Things are going well and on a personal note I am happy and playing well.”Real lead the La Liga table with 24 points from 10 games and have already struck 37 goals. “Maybe now we have more of the ball which is good. The more you have it the more damage you can make,” he said.”We are causing problems for that reason, we are having more chances but the system is more or less the same. We have a very good squad. (Gareth) Bale has returned now and is in good shape.”We can go very far. We will work to get better each game and win the trophies: La Liga, the Champions League and the cup.”
Few members of the bullpen, Treinen included, have met the standard they established last campaign. The A’s have already lost six games they led after seven innings this year, up from just one last season. They have three high-usage relievers with ERAs over 4.00: Treinen, Trivino and Joakim Soria.Their lack of deadline trade activity for bullpen help, then, was somewhat surprising. Last week, they acquired left-hander Jake Diekman, but on Wednesday they were unable to secure another deal for a late-inning option. They did, however, add starter Tanner Roark from the Reds.”We had further conversation about bullpen pieces (before the deadline),” general manager David Forst said. “Just didn’t work out.”MORE: Here’s how to watch ‘ChangeUp,’ an MLB whiparound show, free on DAZNThe past couple of weeks have bared Oakland’s potential vulnerability amid a tight American League wild-card race. Even Liam Hendriks, its most counted-on reliever, has blown three saves in his past four appearances.A’s record last year when tied after seven: 16-8.This year: 8-6.— Dan Bernstein (@dan_bernstein_) July 31, 2019In-house reinforcements should be coming: Top prospect A.J. Puk and right-hander Jharel Cotton are among those expected to join the bullpen soon. Diekman brings prolific strikeout numbers to the team. Plus, acquiring Roark from the Reds and starter Homer Bailey from the Royals may decrease the reliance on relievers. Left-hander Sean Manea may return from injury to join the rotation this month, as well.The A’s have expressed confidence that their recent adjustments are enough. Designated hitter Khris Davis said Sunday that “we’re going to the playoffs this year” and first baseman Matt Olson said Tuesday that Davis’ declaration reflected the entire clubhouse’s thinking.But Oakland’s limited July additions will likely make improvements by Treinen, Trivino and Soria even more vital to the A’s wild-card hopes.Trivino and Soria are still trending the wrong way. Trivino posted a 5.00 in July and Soria wasn’t much better at 4.76. Treinen, however, is beginning to regain Melvin’s trust behind six straight outings without an earned run allowed.Last Thursday, while on the verge of allowing a big inning after giving up a single and walk to the Rangers, Treinen regrouped with a strikeout and popout. Such a mid-inning recovery has been rare this year.”Couldn’t find the strike zone for a little bit, but then got into his rhythm,” Melvin said. “His velo picked up, his movement picked up. So we’ve seen some spurts where he’s throwing the ball really well, and hopefully he’ll continue getting better.” Treinen getting anywhere near his 0.78 ERA from 2018 would obviously be a huge gain for Oakland, as would upticks from his fellow relievers.Whether the combination of internal improvements and outside additions makes the bullpen elite again will be one of the defining questions of the coming months. Hours after the deadline, at least, the organization was optimistic.“We’re very happy with all of our acquisitions from the past couple of weeks,” Forst said. “It was kind of what we hoped to accomplish here.” OAKLAND, Calif. — The A’s bullpen held up well last season when manager Bob Melvin pushed its depth and stamina, but this year, the team’s relievers have repeatedly floundered when asked to preserve leads.Oakland built its 2019 roster around the expectation that the group, led by closer Blake Treinen and setup man Lou Trivino, would again be a strength. It limited investment in starting pitching, instead banking on its relievers to come in as early as the fifth inning and shut down opponents the rest of the way. The gamble has not yielded anticipated results.