Lifting the Premier League trophy without fans there to see it would be a “pretty strange” experience, Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson has said.Liverpool need just six points from their remaining nine games to win the league for the first time in 30 years but there is still no clear date on when the season will resume after it was suspended in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic.Fans will not be allowed to attend games in line with the government’s protocols for the return of elite sport. “Of course it would feel different because if you win any trophy and receive it without any fans there, it would be pretty strange,” club captain Henderson told BBC Radio.”It’s still not over, we still have work to do … We want to finish as strongly as we can to make sure it is a full season.”After that, whether we win it or whatever, then (receiving) the trophy and the fans not being there … You just have to deal with it when it comes.”Clubs began training in small groups last week and will vote later on Wednesday on whether to move to the second phase of ‘Project Restart’ which would allow players to resume close-contact trainingTopics :
Spanish La Liga giants, Barcelona have announced the termination of sporting director, Eric Abidal’s contract, just one day after sacking head coach Quique Setien.Abidal, a former Barcelona defender and two-times Champions League winner with the club, had been in the role for over two years.Setien was relieved of his duties as manager after the team’s humiliating loss to Bayern Munich in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League with the club warning of a first team restructuring.The Spanish club acted quickly to agree a deal in principle to bring in Netherlands head coach Ronald Koeman to replace Setien.One of Abdial’s final acts in his role as Barcelona sporting director was to inform Setien of the club’s decision to let him go in a meeting earlier this week.The club announced the decision on their official twitter handle on Tuesday. Tags: BarcelonaEric AbidalUEFA Champions League Source: Sky Sports
Dodgers southpaw Alex Wood was ripped badly when he pitched in Arizona last Friday, to the tune of eight runs — six earned — in just 1 2/3 innings.What a difference four days make.On Wednesday, Wood came through with an absolute masterpiece. He allowed just one hit over eight innings and the Dodgers rode a home run by A.J. Ellis and an RBI single by Corey Seager to a 2-0 victory over the Colorado Rockies before 45,906 at Dodger Stadium.Wood allowed just a single by Kyle Parker in the second inning. He struck out five and did not walk a batter on 78 pitches. Thirteen of his 24 outs were via the ground ball. When Wood (11-10) came into the dugout after a quick eighth, Mattingly went to shake his hand, the sign he was coming out. Wood at first refused to shake.“He looked at me kind of funny,” Mattingly said, laughing. “I just said, ‘That’s it, don’t even ask.’”Mattingly said that if the lead were 4-0, he might have left Wood in. Wood found the humor in fanning on the handshake.“I was a little surprised (to be coming out),” Wood said. “He came to shake my hand, I was pulling it back a little bit.”He understood the thinking.• Video: Dodgers manager Don Mattingly discusses pulling Alex Wood after 8 innings“Obviously, you always want to stay in, but I wasn’t going to fight too hard, especially after my last one,” he said. “If I wouldn’t have had that last one I probably would have put up more of a fight, but 2-0 ballgame, we’re trying to clinch our playoff berth and have some confidence going into this weekend against Pittsburgh.“Ninth inning, as everybody knows, is Kenley’s for the most part.”The Dodgers have Thursday off and host Pittsburgh beginning Friday.Wood liked his stuff.• Photos: Los Angeles Dodgers defeat the Colorado Rockies 2-0“Yeah, you know, baseball’s a funny game, right?” he said. “It was obviously my worst of the year the last time out. Didn’t really have all three (pitches), which doesn’t happen hardly ever.“Then come in tonight, thought we commanded the fastball to both sides of the plate and felt the changeup was real good. And, obviously, got a lot of early contact tonight.” Wood was asked how the four days between the two starts were.“Long,” he said.Ellis hit his sixth home run of the year off Rockies southpaw starter Jorge De La Rosa (9-7) in the second inning and Seager made it 2-0 with an RBI single in the sixth after a double by Austin Barnes.Ellis loved what he saw from Wood.“He was phenomenal tonight, as good as I’ve caught him,” Ellis said. “And I know for him personally coming off Arizona, this was a big start for him and a big start for us trying to win the series. Give him all the credit, he was outstanding tonight.”Seager said the 2-0 lead felt larger the way Wood was working.“Wood threw really well,” he said. “Eight innings, one hit, something like that. When you do that, one or two runs is like eight or nine runs.”The Dodgers did not start several regulars after Tuesday’s marathon and their lineup included four players who were recently in Triple-A. Third-string catcher Barnes, a former infielder, started at second base with Chase Utley starting at first for Adrian Gonzalez. The low pitch-count notwithstanding, Wood did not get the chance to finish because closer Kenley Jansen was brought in to save his 32nd game. Jansen gave up a two-out single to Charlie Blackmon before striking out Carlos Gonzalez to end the game.The game took 2 hours and eight minutes, a night after the teams played for 16 innings over 5 hours and 23 minutes.The first-place Dodgers (84-61) reduced their magic number to 10 and retained their lead of 7 1/2 games over the Giants in the NL West.Dodgers manager Don Mattingly talked about the ground balls Wood induced.“It seemed like he (Wood) was down all night,” Mattingly said. “He just seemed a little sharper with everything. You never know what goes on from game to game. It was good tonight. He got on a little roll early and just kept his pitch-count down.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
“I think it is amazing, everyone was surprised by the magnitude of the project,” said Pochettino.“The stadium is the best in the world, we can confirm that now. Every space is the best I have seen in my life, you can’t compare that with anything.“It’s an amazing project, it is going to be fantastic for the future of the club. It is going to be a massive boost for our fans and it must be for our players too.”Pochettino’s future seems very much tied to Spurs’ exciting new venture as talk of him being appointed Manchester United’s next permanent manager was ended by the appointment of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on Thursday.Solskjaer’s impressive spell as caretaker boss included a 1-0 win over Pochettino’s men at Wembley in January and the Argentine offered his congratulations to the Norwegian on being handed a three-year deal.“I need to congratulate him and wish him all the best now he is officially the new manager of Manchester United,” said Pochettino.“I am not going to talk about rumours and in this period there is going to be more rumours but there is nothing I can do about it.“If it is not this, speculation is going to come around from another club. We are so focused on our job.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Thumbs up: Mauricio Pochettino believes Tottenham’s new stadium is the best in the world © AFP / Daniel LEAL-OLIVASLONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 29 – Tottenham coach Mauricio Pochettino believes the club’s state-of-the-art new stadium has been worth waiting for after months of delays.Spurs trained at the 62,000 capacity venue for the first time on Thursday and will play for the first time there on Wednesday against Crystal Palace.