“We’ve never discussed having the tournament in November with the PGA Tour,” McLaughlin said Thursday. “We’ve had the tournament the first or second week in December since the very beginning. We’ve been pleased because we’ve had great success with that. Last year we had the best attendance yet, and we’re pleased with the dates. We’ve never had any discussions about that.” Woods has not made a public statement about why he decided to pass on the Nissan Open for just the second time in his pro career. Thus, speculation has been rampant about why he didn’t play at this week’s Nissan, where he was given his first sponsor exemption as a 16-year-old. There’s no chance of rain in the forecast through Sunday’s final round. Staff writer Gene Warnick contributed to this report. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Bees swarm fairway As Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Vaughn Taylor were waiting to tee off on the par-3 sixth hole, something happened to disturb a gigantic bee hive and hundreds of bees swarmed the fairway, sending fans scrambling. After the trio teed off, Mickelson and Els calmly walked down the fairway while Taylor tried to high-step his way around the bees. Ortega said he was aware of the problem and a maintenance crew was dispatched to spray the area. Ortega said Riviera doesn’t usually have a problem with bees since the weather is rainy and cold. Do a little dance Mike Ortega, the Nissan’s tournament chairman, had a strange way of trying to ensure that it wouldn’t rain this year. “I did a lot of praying and dancing to get good weather,” Ortega said. PACIFIC PALISADES – Greg McLaughlin, the president of the Tiger Woods Foundation, denied a report that Tiger Woods skipped the Nissan Open because he wanted to move his tournament, the Target World Challenge, from December to November in a battle with PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem. The Daily Mail of London reported that such a move was causing friction between the two and might be a reason Woods missed the season-opening Mercedes-Benz Championship and the Nissan.
Gardai investigating a spate of arson attacks in Inishowen have arrested five young men aged between 17 to 24.One was detained under Section 30 of the Offences against the State Act 1939 and the other four under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984.A 17 year old male was released from custody at Buncrana last and the other four remain in custody. Two of those who are in custody are in Buncrana, the other two in Letterkenny.Gardai say there have been eleven incidents of fires in Buncrana and its environs.The attacks have been random and some have occurred in isolated rural areas. Properties targeted included unoccupied buildings, farm sheds, vehicles and a health centre.Acting chief fire officer Bobby McMenamin had appealed to people to stop light fires as panic set across the Inishowen Peninsula. One young mother told Donegaldaily that she was terrified after her three young children had to be woken from their beds in the early hours of Monday last as a fire raged at the back of her home in Buncrana.EndsFIVE YOUTHS ARRESTED FOLLOWING INISHOWEN ARSON ATTACKS was last modified: August 25th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)