WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND TODAY?Todays “READERS POLL” question is: Are you looking forward to Donald Trump becoming the next President of the United Srares?We urge you to take time and click the section we have reserved for the daily recaps of the activities of our local Law Enforcement professionals. This section is located on the upper right side of our publication.If you would like to advertise or submit and article in the CCO please contact us City-County [email protected] County Observer has been serving our community for 17 years.FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Photo courtesy of Theresa McSorley This year, the Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon became the fifth dance marathon in Indiana to raise $1,000,000 over the course of its history. The event’s funds support Riley Hospital for Children.Dance Marathon members begin fundraising at the beginning of each academic year to support the Riley Hospital for Children, senior and operations co-executive Theresa McSorley said.In the past, Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon has had several high schools who fundraised to help reach the group’s goal, but this year was different due to having just one high school participate, senior and Dance Marathon president Meg Brownley said in an email.McSorley said this decrease affected fundraising for the event.“We lost a lot of high schools that bring in major parts of fundraising for Dance Marathon this year,” she said.Despite this setback, members of the club knew they wanted to have an exceptionally good year because Saint Mary’s was set to have raised a total of $1,000,000 during its years participating in Dance Marathon.“We are the fifth Dance Marathon in the state of Indiana to reach a cumulative total of $1,000,000,” Brownley said.Executives of the club attribute this achievement to more involvement from the surrounding community.“This year, we had a 30 percent increase in fundraising compared to last year,” Brownley said.This increase came from the individual members of the club who began their fundraising in August, as well as the more than 300 people who registered to participate in Dance Marathon.“It helped that we opened it up to Notre Dame and Holy Cross students to really advertise our Dance Marathon on their campuses,” senior and personal relations executive Alaina Murphy said.The event itself lasted 12 hours — time the operations committee arranged to be filled with entertainment that included a performance by Bellacapella — the Saint Mary’s acapella group — animals from the Potawatomi Zoo, visits from Notre Dame baseball and football players and face painting.“We’re so grateful for all the groups from the tri-campus community that came,” Corcoran said. “It shows that our sense of community is strong.”During the time of the 12-hour marathon, the organization raised about $27,000, Murphy said.Patients at the Riley Children’s Hospital and their families attended the event and shared stories of how the hospital’s care has impacted their family, junior and letter-writing executive for the organization Grace Ward said.McSorley said this visit was a Dance Marathon tradition.“Every year, the Riley kids come, and either they or their parents speak and tell their stories,” McSorley said.Seeing the children benefitting from the fundraising makes participating in Dance Marathon an emotional experience for some, McSorley said.“People think you’re just dancing for 12 hours, but it’s so much more than that,” McSorley said. “It sounds so painful, but the minute you sit down after that 12 hours, you realize that the pain you feel is nothing compared to what those kids go through.”Tags: Dance Marathon, Pfeil Center, riley hospital, riley hospital for children, Saint Mary’s College Dance Marathon, SMC Dance Marathon Members of the tri-campus community gathered at the Pfeil Center at Holy Cross College on Saturday for this year’s Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon.This was the 13th year the fundraising club has hosted the event for the Saint Mary’s community, and its theme was “Get Wild for the Life of a Child,” according to junior Madeleine Corcoran, co-executive of operations for the club.
Click HERE if you’re unable to view the gallery on your mobile device.MESA, Ariz. — Star players typically don’t stay in an A’s uniform for long.Khris Davis wants to be an exception. “It’s not a good … The talks of a long-term contract for Davis have floated around over the past couple of seasons. Now set to become a free agent after the 2019 season and watching how many quality players still remain without a team this spring, it’s hard for Davis not to think about his future.
Harden sank a pair of 3s in an 8-0 run and Houston led 101-88 with 7:05 remaining.The Suns kept it close in the first half, despite Harden’s 22 points, five assists and five rebounds.Harden scored inside twice to ignite a 9-2 spurt that put Houston up 50-42 on Paul’s wide-open 3 with 6:03 left in the half. Austin Rivers’ 3 gave Houston its biggest lead of the half, 57-46, with 3:21 left. The Rockets led 63-57 at the break.The Suns tried a new defensive strategy on Harden and, overall results notwithstanding, it worked pretty well some of the time.“James forces teams to do a coverage that you usually don’t do,” Booker said. “It was new for us, first time to do it. … I feel we did pretty well, kept it close, (were) in striking distance most of the game.”KOBE’S TAKEHarden more or less agreed with Kobe Bryant’s comments that the Rockets won’t win a title with Harden dominating the ball so much.Harden doesn’t expect to have to do that when the playoffs come around.“I have to ball-dominate with all of the injuries,” he said. “We have had the injuries throughout the course of the year. Right now he is probably right. This way that we are playing won’t happen in the playoffs, won’t get us where we want to go, but we haven’t had a full roster. Yet I am excited for that to come.”TIP-INS Rockets: Through 50 games, Harden has 658 3-point attempts, seventh-most for an entire season in NBA history. … Houston was without Eric Gordon (right knee soreness) and Clint Capela (right thumb injury). … Five former Suns are on the Rockets’ roster: P.J. Tucker, Gerald Green, Marquese Chriss, Brandon Knight and Danuel House Jr. That’s not counting Rivers, waived by the Suns immediately after he and Oubre came over from Washington in a trade for Trevor Ariza.Suns: Phoenix again didn’t have T.J. Warren (right ankle soreness) and De’Anthony Melton (right ankle sprain). … The Suns have lost 10 straight at home to Houston. They last beat the Rockets in Phoenix on April 15, 2013.UP NEXTRockets: Play at Sacramento on Wednesday night.Suns: Play at Utah on Wednesday night.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Josh Jackson scored 25 points, Kelly Oubre Jr. 23 and Devin Booker 19 for the Suns. Deandre Ayton added 15 points and 11 boards. Booker left in the fourth quarter with a tight hamstring.The Suns never led but stayed close through the first half before falling behind by 20 in the third quarter.Phoenix cut it to single digits on several occasions in the fourth only to be thwarted by a basket from Harden or Paul. Harden scored 14 in the final quarter.Up by six at halftime, the Rockets opened a big lead in the third quarter. Harden sank a 3-pointer from the corner and Faried dunked a rebound to cap a 13-4 run that put Houston up 84-68. The Rockets boosted the lead to 20 three times in the quarter, the last at 94-74 on Paul’s two free throws with 1:02 left. But the Suns finished the period on a 6-0 spurt as Oubre’s 3-pointer at the buzzer cut the Rockets’ advantage to 94-80 entering the fourth.The run reached 10-0 when Phoenix scored the first four of the final quarter, making it 94-84 on Oubre’s dunk with 10:57 to play.ADVERTISEMENT PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war Houston Rockets guard James Harden (13) yells after making a three pointer against the Phoenix Suns during the second half of an NBA basketball game,, Monday, Feb. 4, 2019, in Phoenix. The Rockets won 118-110. (AP Photo/Matt York)PHOENIX — Another 40-point game for James Harden. That makes 20 of them this season.The reigning MVP scored 44 points and the Houston Rockets beat Phoenix 118-110 on Monday night to hand the Suns their season-worst 11th straight loss.ADVERTISEMENT Harden joined Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan and Rick Barry as the only players with 20 games of at least 40 points in the first 50 of a season.Harden, who also had eight rebounds and six assists, extended his streak of games with at least 30 points to 27, third-longest in NBA history. The only longer streaks are 65 and 31 games, both by Chamberlain.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“I’m just trying to keep going. Nothing can slow me down,” Harden said. “Nothing can stop me. I’m trying to give that same motivation to my teammates and it’s not about scoring, it’s about attacking the game, being aggressive with the game of basketball — defensively, offensively. That’s all I can give to them.”Chris Paul scored 18 and Kenneth Faried had 17 points and 14 rebounds for the Rockets, who were without two starters. PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss MOST READ Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Big game for Giannis Antetokounmpo helps NBA-best Bucks beat Nets LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
If youâ€™re looking to compete in the richest Touch Football knockout in Australia, travelling to, playing in and staying at the event and location just got a whole lot easier!Touch Football Australia and Queensland Touch Football have partnered with local travel and accommodation operators making it easier and more affordable for you and your team to not only play in this yearâ€™s Bundaberg Cup, but also stay and enjoy the great tourism destination options synonymous with the Southern Great Barrier Reef region.The more streamlined process to get to and compete in the event has been made possible through the great support and collaboration of event partners, Tourism and Events Queensland (TEQ), Bundaberg North Burnett Tourism, Bundaberg Regional Council and Queensland Rail. Following the success of the inaugural Bundaberg Cup in 2015, teams from around the country are registering now in pursuit of the $20,000 prize purse across menâ€™s, womenâ€™s, mixed and junior divisions. The event will be held at the Greg Duncan Touch Fields on the weekend of 19 and 20 November 2016.With less than 50 days to go, check out the top 50 things to do in location in coming weeks: see 41-50 of the best tourism experiences in the Bundaberg-North Burnett region on the event website and to continue up to the event date. We will provide you with the hottest tips on things to do and places to stay while you are participating and for all your friends and family to consider as well. Event Ambassador and ex-NRL star, Scott Prince will be in location sampling the local tourism sights and delights on Tuesday, 18 October to give you an insiderâ€™s view of the best attractions on offer. With an exciting event format planning for this second instalment of the Bundy Cup, Prince is looking forward to returning to Bundaberg to compete in the eventâ€¦and stay for a few days. â€œIâ€™m really excited to be returning to Bundaberg to not only take part in the Bundaberg Cup but also to re-visit what the Bundaberg and North Burnett Region has to offer,â€ he said. â€œit’s a great time of year as the turtles are coming to shore to lay their eggs – a moment the family and I and Iâ€™m sure others would love to see,” Prince said.â€œThe prizemoney on offer is outstanding which should see the best of the best in town but also a strong social contingent as well. â€œI am hopeful that our team can go back-to-back,â€ Prince added.The Bundaberg Cup is supported by the Queensland Government through Tourism and Events Queensland in partnership with the Bundaberg Regional Council, Bundaberg and North Burnett Tourism and promoted as part of the Itâ€™s Live! in Queensland event calendar.To register your team and take advantage of the many accommodation and travel offers, download the Bundaberg Cup Offers PDF here , or visit the Official Bundaberg Cup website. Hurry, registrations close soon, and this touch tournament is not one to miss! Discover 50-41 top tourist attractions in Bundaberg now!Related LinksBundaberg Cup
About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say Sir Alex Ferguson hails ‘absolute legend’ Wengerby Ansser Sadiq16 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has gushed praise on his old rival Arsene Wenger.The two set the standard in the Premier League in the 1990s and early 2000s.Despite being bitter rivals in those years, Ferguson and Wenger have developed mutual respect in their later years.And Ferguson was not afraid to speak out in praise of Wenger, as the Frenchman received recognition at the Nordoff Robbins charity award dinner.Ferguson said via video: “The career you had as a manager at Arsenal was absolutely fantastic – an absolute legend.”I loved the competition against you. “We had some great times and it’s wonderful you’re getting this award tonight. “So good luck, my blessing [is] with you.”
Shaun King Crab LegsThursday night, former Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, now a Tampa Bay Buccaneer, posted an Instagram photo of himself celebrating his No. 1 selection in the NFL Draft with a plate full of crab legs. Normally, such a photo wouldn’t be newsworthy – but given the fact that Winston was caught shoplifting crab legs from a Tallahassee Publix last April, it didn’t go unnoticed. Winston, who was criticized heavily for the post, eventually took it down, reportedly at the request of his new employer.Former NFL quarterback Shaun King, who is dialed into the football scene in northern Florida, has provided a bit of backstory on the photo Friday morning. He says that the crab legs were a gift from Captain Keith Colburn of The Deadliest Catch after Winston helped auction off a king crab at Mike Alstott’s charity auction earlier this year. He’s blasting people who have been critical of Winston.If people only knew how STUPID they sound killing this kid over that picture smdh— shaun king (@realshaunking) May 1, 2015I was seated at the table right next to jameis at the mike alstott charity auction, when captain keith asked jameis to help him auction off— shaun king (@realshaunking) May 1, 2015This huge king crab he had flown in for the event. Captain keith is from the deadliest catch show. I wasnt sure how jameis was gonna— shaun king (@realshaunking) May 1, 2015Handle the request, but it didnt faze the young man at all he simply said ok sure, we r here to help the alstott foundation right.— shaun king (@realshaunking) May 1, 2015That same captain keith in a gesture of thanks sent jameis and his family 25lbs of king crabs legs for his draft event last night.— shaun king (@realshaunking) May 1, 2015Thats the backstory behind last nights picture for those of you who need to seriously have some self evaluation done— shaun king (@realshaunking) May 1, 2015While the backstory may be a bit more heartwarming than many would have guessed, Winston likely still knew the reaction he’d get for the post. Whether it was worth it – well, that’s a question that the new Buccaneers quarterback can answer.
HALIFAX – Canadian rapper Classified has released a new song in support of people who feel powerless, with a focus on women and children who have suffered abuse.The Nova Scotia musician — whose real name is Luke Boyd — says the song, titled “Powerless,” is drawn from the experiences of multiple people who have reached out to him.He says the inspiration for the song first came from a letter he received from a young girl in Newfoundland and Labrador.Boyd says she called him her hero after he blasted a judge on Facebook for handing a man from St. John’s, N.L., a five-year sentence for sexually assaulting the girl when she was 11 years old.The rapper says the song acknowledges the difficulty of coming forward after abuse.His song also highlights the struggles and injustices that Indigenous people in Canada face, including the ongoing discussion about missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.(Global News)
For updates on road conditions in Alberta, visit 511.alberta.caThe full warning from Environment Canada is below.Issued at 2018-12-17 03:46 UTC by Environment Canada:Freezing rain warning issued for:Co. of Grande Prairie near Beaverlodge Hythe and Demmitt, Alta. (077111)Co. of Grande Prairie near Sexsmith and La Glace, Alta. (077112)Co. of Grande Prairie near Grande Prairie and Wembley, Alta. (077113)Current details:Freezing rain is expected or occurring.An area of freezing rain is forecast to develop over the Grande Prairie and southern Peace River regions overnight. The freezing rain will move eastwards into portions of the Red Earth and Slave Lake regions by Monday morning. Freezing rain will end by noon.Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become icy and slippery. UPDATE – The warning ended at 10:30 a.m. on December 17.GRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – Environment Canada has issued a freezing rain warning for Grande Prairie, Sexsmith and the rest of the Alberta Peace.Freezing rain could develop overnight Sunday into Monday before moving into the Slave Lake region. Freezing rain warnings are issued when rain falling in sub-zero temperatures creates ice build-up and icy surfaces. Take extra care when walking or driving in affected areas.Freezing rain warnings are issued when rain falling in sub-zero temperatures creates ice build-up and icy surfaces.Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Peace Arts Gallery Society (PAGS) is hosting its 36th Art Auction, the primary fundraising event for the society.The Harvest Moon Gala and Auction is the opportunity for PAGS to fundraise to support the Gallery, the Let’s Art Program for youth 6 – 18 years of age and support of bursaries for school students going into art programs.Saturday, October, 5th, 2019 the Auction starts at 5:00 pm and runs through to 10:00 pm, with the cost of tickets at $75 person. Doors Open at 5:00 pm – With refreshments and music by Landis Dell and his Jazz GuitarDinner is at 6:30 pm by the Cultured CafeAuction to Follow by Rhythm AuctionsThe North Peace Cultural Centre is transformed for the event to be a venue for the dinner service of turkey and ham and auctions of artisan art pieces.38 pieces of art have been donated to the live auction for attendees to auction upon as well as silent auctions.Two photographers will be on-site with one taking complimentary portrait photographs.Tickets for the evening can be purchased from the North Peace Cultural Centre Box Office or online; CLICK HERETo view the FB Event; CLICK HERE