Category: iyawhnsh

In response to Councilman Perez

first_imgALEX RODRIGUEZ To the Editor:I would like to inform those who read Councilman Juan Perez’s letter in the March 22, 2017 edition, that the letter was his roundabout weak attempt to counter my claims in a previous edition in which I challenged him. He cleverly skirted the issue of supporting and providing legal aid to illegal undocumented immigrants within the walls of our tax funded City Hall building.Perez used his letter as an avenue of self promotion, while hiding any mention of the facts I pointed out to the Bayonne residents. However, I believe Bayonne residents can see right through the smokescreen. Like a stereotypical politician, Councilman Perez said a lot in the letter he penned, but didn’t really say anything of substance relating to the real hotbed issue.There wasn’t any mention of the activity by foreign consulates during business hours at our City Hall, my letter, my name, or my request for an official press release by him or current administration.One must ask if there was any fear of offending anyone. One must also ask if Bayonne will soon do the same as Union City Mayor Stack is doing. The Union City Clerk’s Office can verify that thousands of applications for city identification cards were given to immigrants, many of whom were undocumented, over the course of two days. They can also verify that they expect to process a lot more.I think we deserve elected officials to fight for the taxpayer, be transparent, and not be afraid to speak the truth. Do not mislead the public. Americans are not against immigration. We wholeheartedly support legal immigration.What did Councilman Perez’s letter accomplish other than be a rah-rah feel good commercial. At the end of the day, it’s status quo: not much was said. City Hall is a safe haven for law- breaking persons, and our elected officials continue to sugarcoat their actions, which don’t benefit the real law-abiding and voting taxpayer. last_img read more

Press release: Bridge bites the dust for M6 upgrade

first_imgWhile the work takes place, traffic will be diverted off the M6 between junctions 13 and 14 and will use the A449 and A34 as the diversion route. This route has been agreed with local authority partners and will be kept clear of other works during the demolition. Drivers are warned to expect delays and urged to avoid the area if possible, allowing lots of extra time for essential journeys.To reduce M6 traffic on the day, signs will alert motorists to the closure as far away as Dover and Carlisle. Motorists and hauliers travelling between the North West and the Midlands and South of England will be urged to avoid the area by using the M62 and M1.Work began last year and the project is due to be completed by March 2022.More information is available on the M6 junction 13 to 15 smart motorway scheme web page.General enquiriesMembers of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.Media enquiriesJournalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer. Highways England is removing the Burton Bank Footbridge, north of junction 13, that was built in the early 1960s.Due to the curved shape of the footbridge, there isn’t enough headroom for HGVs to travel along the new lane that will be replacing the hard shoulder and allowing for all lane running. The bridge is too low for the required safety clearance when the hard shoulder becomes a new running lane.The footbridge, near Stafford, is nearly 200ft (60m) in length and weighs around 140 tonnes. In total it contains enough concrete to fill around 20 tipper trucks.It is the second bridge to be removed as part of work to upgrade the motorway between junction 13 (Stafford) and junction 15 (Stoke-on-Trent) after Creswell Home Farm bridge, just north of junction 14, was demolished last year.The motorway closure will start on Saturday 23 March with significant lane restrictions from 5pm, leading into a full closure by 8pm. Drivers are warned to expect delays from 5pm. The motorway will reopen on Sunday, March 24 as soon as work allows.Highways England smart motorways project sponsor Peter Smith said: Demolishing an arched bridge is a very complex job and to do it safely we need to use both carriageways of the motorway, which means it will be closed for up to 18 hours. We’ll be doing all we can to minimise disruption in Stafford and the surrounding area and I’d like to thank motorists, businesses and residents in advance for their patience. I’d also urge anyone wanting to use the M6 in that area on March 23 and 24 to plan an alternative route to avoid congestion in the area. Please also allow extra travel time and fuel for your journey.last_img read more

Belgium fears spread of Dutch riots over virus restrictions

first_imgBRUSSELS (AP) — Belgian Interior Minister Annelies Verlinden is warning that riots in the Netherlands over coronavirus restrictions risk spreading across the border. The ministry said Wednesday that she’s instructed Belgian mayors about measures to take to limit the spread of the disease among protesters. The Netherlands has seen been rocked by three successive nights of rioting. Belgium on Wednesday introduced a new ban on nonessential travel until at least March. That’s on top of compulsory mask wearing and a nighttime curfew that have been in place since November. Some calls for protests this Sunday against the measures are circulating on social media in Belgium.last_img read more

Pope Francis celebrates first Holy Week

first_imgROME – Pope Francis, the first South American pope in Catholic Church history, celebrated his first Holy Week last week by challenging the faithful to serve one another and calling for global peace. On Holy Thursday, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, former archbishop of Buenos Aires, washed the feet of 12 young detainees in the Casal del Marmo, one of Rome’s juvenile prisons, according to the BBC. “Help one another. This is what Jesus teaches us,” the pope said Thursday, according to the BBC. “I do this with my heart because it is my duty, as a priest and bishop I must be at your service. But it is a duty that comes from my heart and a duty I love.” “I love doing it because this is what the Lord has taught me.” Pope Francis led a Good Friday service in Saint Peter’s Basilica and the Stations of the Cross at the Coliseum. He read aloud meditations composed by young Lebanese members of the Church, calling for peace in a region “torn apart by injustice and conflicts,” according to the BBC. Pope Francis has brought a new sense of simplicity to the Vatican, according to BBC’s David Willey in Rome. He wears plain vestments and has not taken up residence in the lavish papal apartments. Saturday night was the Easter Vigil held in Saint Peter’s Basilica. Capuchin friar Fr. Raniero Cantalamessa delivered the homily, referencing Franz Kafka’s “An Imperial Message” to illustrate the difficulty of spreading the Word of Christ to the worldly, according to the BBC. “We must do everything to prevent the Church from becoming Kafka’s castle, where it is impossible for the messenger to get word out to the world,” Cantalamessa said. “So, we must have the courage to knock them down and return the building to the simplicity and linearity of its origins.” Pope Francis delivered his “Urbi et Orbi” message to the city of Rome and to the world after the Mass. He emphasized the importance of love and peace for communities that are needy and war-torn. “What a joy it is for me to announce this message: Christ is risen! I would like it to go out to every house and every family, especially where the suffering is greatest, in hospitals, in prisons,” the pope said, according to the English translation offered by the Holy See Press Office. The pontiff said Jesus Christ’s triumph over death should transform Christians’ lives. “What does it mean that Jesus is risen? It means that the love of God is stronger than evil and death itself,” he said. “It means that the love of God can transform our lives and let those desert places in our hearts bloom.” Pope Francis invited everyone to “accept the grace of Christ’s Resurrection” and “become agents of this mercy.” He prayed specifically that the conflicts in the Middle East, Iraq, Syria, Nigeria, the Congo, Central Africa and Korea would be resolved. “Peace in the whole world, still divided by greed looking for easy gain, wounded by the selfishness which threatens human life and family, selfishness that continues in human trafficking, the most extensive form of slavery in this twenty-first century,” he said. “Peace to the whole world, torn apart by violence linked to drug trafficking and by the iniquitous exploitation of natural resources!” To conclude his address, Pope Francis quoted a passage from Psalm 117:1-2. “Dear brothers and sisters, to all of you who are listening to me, from Rome and from all over … the world, I address the invitation of the Psalm: ‘Give thanks to the Lord for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever,” he said. “Let Israel say: ‘His steadfast love endures for ever.’”last_img read more

Ex-Dean Pleads Guilty to Vehicular Homicide

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A former Suffolk County Community College associate dean has admitted to driving while high on methamphetamine when he caused a crash that killed two men on the Meadowbrook State Parkway two years ago.Robert Beodeker pleaded guilty Monday at Nassau County court to charges of vehicular homicide and driving while ability impaired.Prosecutors said the 52-year-old Aquebogue man was driving along the parkway when his truck struck a vehicle on the side of the roadway on March 4, 2013.Two men who were fixing the vehicle, 76-year-old John Elder of Freeport and 65-year-old Edward Ross of North Bellmore, were pronounced dead at the scene.Judge Christopher Quinn is scheduled to sentence Beodeker on May 18.last_img read more

Six tips for managing card fraud exposure

first_img continue reading » ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr During a recent webinar on fraud, attendants were asked what kind of fraud they were experiencing the most in 2018. Of those who responded, 82% stated that card fraud was the #1 type of fraud they’ve been experiencing this year. [Access the on-demand webinar, “An Expert’s Guide to Card Fraud.”]We recognize card fraud is a scary beast that can result in as much as six figures in overall losses, so I’m here to help you tame this beast!Here are some quick-hitter steps your financial institution can take to minimize future instances of card fraud:Enable chip technology on all of your cards, ATM machines, and in-branch point-of-sale devices to proactively protect your cards from magnetic stripe (POS 90) card fraud exposure.Confirm all of the appropriate card security measures are in place and working effectively.last_img read more

State lawmakers call for Governor Andrew Cuomo to release funding for non-profits

first_imgSpecifically, Lupardo says the state needs to make sure the Nourish New York program continues to help those get the resources they need.  They say $3 billon remaining from the CARES Act to help non-profits that needs to be released by Governor Cuomo.  Executive leaders also mentioned because of the pandemic over two million New Yorkers are now food insecure Lupardo says without the funding, New York’s most vulnerable could be left without necessary programs and services they depend on.center_img “Because children who go to sleep hungry and parents who are hungry are not going to be effective they are not going to learn well,” Lupardo said. “They are not going to thrive.” ALBANY, N.Y. (WBNG) — Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo and other lawmakers are calling for funds to help nonprofits.last_img read more

Knin Tourist Board provides free training in the field of tourism

first_imgApplications for each individual call, along with other documentation, must be submitted by September 02, 2019. Find out more information on how to apply HERE The City of Knin and the Tourist Board of the City of Knin are implementing the project “Cultural and natural heritage – a resource for tourism development” co-financed by the European Union from the European Regional Development Fund. Otherwise, the whole story is very simple. The Knin Tourist Board saw the need for the mentioned staff in tourism and decided not to wait for the State or some miracle, found a way to financially close the whole story and make a step forward, ie be a tailor of its tourism development. It’s easy to whine and stick to the status quo and find a hundred excuses. But the difference is made by those who are proactive and who break the status quo. Yes, it can be. This is one little plastic example of how it’s all up to people. An example that will employ 16 people from the Knin area tomorrow and that will ensure quality performance, which is the first prerequisite for long-term development. As part of the project, training will be conducted for a total of 16 people from the area of ​​the City of Knin, namely trainings for: Tourist guide (4 people), Tourist guide (10 people) and Head of the travel agency (2 people). Education is free, and the public invitation applies only to persons residing in the Knin area. Logically, in order to increase the employment of the local population. The trainings are organized in cooperation with the Tourist Board of the City of Knin and the City of Knin, and will be conducted in October 2019. Photo: TZ Kninlast_img read more

The listing of this home at Hamilton is tipped to test the luxury market

first_img1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton. 1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton.BRISBANE’S high end property market has been firing of late, with a number of significant multimillion-dollar sales chalked up in recent weeks.Nationally, million dollar plus sales are rising with the latest figures revealing the number of properties selling for more than $1 million is at a new record high.In the 12 months to June 2017, 15.4 per cent of all house sales and 8.8 per cent of all unit sales nationally were at a price of at least $1 million.A property predicted to well and truly exceed that level is a home owned by Brisbane developer Anthony Barakat and his wife Terrie at Hamilton.Mr Barakat, who does a lot of his investing south of the border these days, said with their four children growing up, they didn’t use the home at 1 Dickson Tce, as much as they once did and they were going to downsize to a unit.1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton.More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor2 hours agoThe house at 1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton was designed by Greg Harris who also designed a massive home at 1 Leopard St, Kangaroo Point which broke Brisbane’s house price record when it sold for more than $18 million earlier this year.1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton.Mr Barakat said as his children grew older they really only used three rooms of the house, the kitchen, the laundry (which was in constant use) and the barbecue area.1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton.The home has multiple living and entertainment areas over three levels. There is an infinity edge pool with glass fencing and an outdoor kitchen.1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton.The home has been listed through Damon Warat of Ray White Ascot.1 Dickson Tce, Hamilton.last_img read more

City dwellers chasing peace prepared for long drives to work

first_imgVideo Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 1:53Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -1:53 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD540p540p360p360p216p216pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenAustralia’s regional real estate hot spots01:54CAIRNS and national city dwellers are increasingly becoming more open to longer drives to work as acreage properties outside the city rapidly rise in popularity. Cairns Property Office manager Peter Hanrahan said he’d noticed an increase in inquires for properties from Feluga, south of Innisfail to Cooktown, west to Milla Milla and anything in between that was about 0.5ha or greater. “It’s been a long time coming with the smaller land releases from developers (in recent years),” Mr Hanrahan said. Cairns Property Office manager Peter Hanrahan said acreage properties were rapidly rising in popularity as city dwellers chased their own slice of peace and quiet. Picture: ISTOCK.“People have always wanted the space, the peace and quiet and this virus has just given them the time to think about what’s important and we’re seeing that push. There’s been inquires from (southern capital cities), where buyers are picking up these large land-only properties and just holding on to them to use in 15 years maybe.“I think we’ve all known for a long time that people have been wanting to get out of the cities and now we’re seeing it happen.” He said Cairns residents were happy to move further away from their place of work in the CBD, drive the extra distance each day, but enjoy the lifestyle of an acreage property. “Anything at Edmonton or Kuranda where they might have to drive 20 or 30 minutes is fine. A lot of these people are in their 40s-60s, good financial positions and they’re thinking they don’t need to be in tight neighbourhoods anymore. We’ve even had interest in people wanting to move to Babinda (while working in Cairns).” More from newsCairns home ticks popular internet search terms2 days agoTen auction results from ‘active’ weekend in Cairns2 days agoCairns Property Office manager Peter Hanrahan said acreage properties outside of Cairns were becoming increasingly popular such as Lot 348, Whiting Rd, Milla MillaHe said the demand for the larger blocks, such as lot 348 Whiting Rd, Millaa Millaa (pictured), was being fairly reflected by their price tags. “Most suburban homes we’re selling are going for the mid $200,000s to the $400,000s, but buyers are willing to pay a premium price for an acreage lot. “It’s important to remember when buying one of these, to look for a “front row” property – something with the river, ocean, a creek or the rainforest right in front. That’s a true acreage property and where you’ll find the most value down the track.”last_img read more