Reuters LondonAugust 21, 2019UPDATED: August 21, 2019 22:55 IST Paul Pogba was abused online after missing a penalty against Wolverhampton Wanderers. (AP Photo)HIGHLIGHTSTwitter representatives will meet Man United after their player Paul Pogba faced racial abuse onlinePogba was a target of online abuse after missing a penalty on MondayThe abuse suffered by Pogba was condemned by his team matesTwitter representatives will meet Manchester United and British anti-discriminatory body Kick It Out after the club’s midfielder Paul Pogba became the latest player to be subjected to online racist abuse, the social media company said on Wednesday.France international Pogba was a target of online abuse after he missed a penalty in Monday’s 1-1 Premier League draw at Wolverhampton Wanderers.Chelsea boss Frank Lampard last week urged social media companies to take action after 21-year-old striker Tammy Abraham was targeted after the team’s UEFA Super Cup loss to Liverpool.”We have always maintained an open and healthy dialogue with our partners in this space, but we know we need to do more to protect our users,” Twitter said in a statement.”Racist behaviour has no place on our platform and we strongly condemn it.””Over the next few weeks, Twitter representatives will meet with Manchester United, Kick It Out and any other civil society stakeholders interested in hearing about the proactive work Twitter is doing to address online racist abuse towards certain footballers in the UK.”The abuse suffered by Pogba was condemned by his team mates including Harry Maguire who urged social media companies to verify user accounts to prevent anonymous abuse of players.England women’s coach Phil Neville, a former United player, urged the soccer community to boycott social media for six months to send a message.A study released by Kick It Out said it received 159 reports of discrimination via social media in the English professional game last season.advertisementAlso Read | You attack him you attack us all: Manchester United condemn racial abuse of Paul PogbaAlso Read | Come off social media: Phil Neville’s advice to football community to combat racial abuseAlso SeeFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat Tags :Follow Paul PogbaFollow Manchester UnitedFollow Premier league Twitter to meet Manchester United over Paul Pogba racist abuseFrance international Paul Pogba was a target of online abuse after he missed a penalty in Monday’s 1-1 Premier League draw at Wolverhampton Wanderers.advertisement Next
Nova Scotia is taking control of the research and development efforts that will help shape its offshore energy future. The province is investing $6.4 million in research and development, new online delivery models and laboratory equipment to secure better access to scientific information and ultimately generate more wealth and energy from offshore Nova Scotia. “It’s important that we set our own research priorities and it’s important that we make the results of this research public,” Bill Dooks, Minister of Energy, said today, April 27. “We know that our offshore is a frontier, that we have great potential but that research around our geology and tidal power is relatively new. By doing more research, we believe we can build better understanding and attract new companies to do business here.” Two new, non-profit research associations have been established. OETR (Offshore Energy Technical Research) will encourage research into Nova Scotia’s offshore petroleum geology. OEER (Offshore Energy and Environmental Research) will sponsor studies of a variety of environmental matters including the effects of energy exploration on the marine environment. “Nova Scotia competes on a global level to attract exploration dollars,” said Barry Clouter, chair of the Offshore/Onshore Technologies Association of Nova Scotia. “The better these exploration companies understand the region’s geology, the more likely they are to come and spend those dollars here in our province.” Each of the new associations has been given $2.6 million in initial funding from the province, for a total of $5.2 million. Assisting with the promotion of Nova Scotia’s offshore is a $1-million grant to the Canada-Nova Scotia Offshore Petroleum Board, which was announced on Tuesday, April 25. The board maintains a large amount of data related to offshore geology in its data archive, core storage and laboratory facility, known as the core lab. The board says it will use the grant to expand its core lab and upgrade its capacity to manage digital information. About $175,000 will be spent on laboratory equipment at the basin and reservoir laboratory at Dalhousie University, which studies petroleum geology. Mr. Dooks said other jurisdictions, including New Zealand and Australia, are pursuing similar strategies.
…on East Coast bribeShhhh! What a tangled, knotted web of snarled traffic ANSA McAL wove when they once again practised to deceive!!! Did you see shots of that traffic jam, which stretched from the UG Junction on the East Coast all the way to Vlissengen Road?? And the jam wasn’t just on the four-lane highway; desperate commuters and buses trying to get their passengers into “town” were forced into the surrounding village streets, scaring the dickens out of locals, who had never witnessed such scenes before.It was truly an illustration of “SNAFU”– which came out of endemic mass muddles during the last great war: Situation Normal – All F***ed UP!!! And it kinda summarises the quotidian situation in Guyana nowadays, doesn’t it??But yesterday’s traffic mess was special, not least because there was ABSOLUTELY no reason for it — except an opportunity for corporate bribery, which has come to typify almost every activity of this PNC-led APNU/AFC Administration.By now we all know the reason for the traffic jam: ANSA McAL wanted to erect an “Independence Arch” at the western approach to the city. Why? Well, as is the standard practice in this practice — which in the US is called “lobbying”, ANSA was showing “corporate responsibility” on our upcoming “50+1” Independence celebration. But hold it! Isn’t that on the 26th of the month?? Two weeks away??Well, as another aspect of its “corporate responsibility” — this one a bit broader that a payback to the Guyanese State for getting business, like $300M pharma contracts for $605M!! — it was hosting an event of its parent body in Trinidad THIS weekend at the Marriott. The Anthony N Sabga Caribbean Awards for Excellence, Arts & Letters, Science & Technology, Public & Civic Contributions and Entrepreneurship. Sabga was the founder of ANSA.Well, so who cares about the commuting public on the busiest thoroughfare in Guyana?? Who cares about the loss in productivity of thousands of companies? Who cares that CSEC students missed their exams?? Or UG students? Or folks missing flights? Hey!! ANSA has to show all those folks who came in for its Awards show how solid it is with the Guyanese Government. After all, its local Chairwoman was made Chair of the Board of the Government-owned Marriott!!Your Eyewitness wonders why the shill of the PM – the person in charge of “Public Information” — claimed it was “a local company” that caused the SNAFU, without naming ANSA?? And since when did ANSA stop being a Trini company?? Afraid the public would connect the dots??Hey!! Trotman, his AFC party leader, has already let the cat out of the bag about “political investments”!!!…on Govt “accomplishments”The PM’s shill — otherwise known as “Water Boy”, from when he was shilling for the WICB — wasn’t only in the news for his ANSA SNAFU coverup. He inserted a centerspread in three dailies — skipping this newspaper of course (snivelling Fascist!!) — bigging up “125 achievements” of the Government! It’s a shad, shad situation!! The fella just doesn’t get the first thing about PR.All he did was to remind folks about how far his Government’s fallen away from their promises!! Imagine beginning with “INCREASED SALARIES FOR PUBLIC SERVANTS”!!! Has he forgotten public servants were promised “SUBSTANTIAL RAISES” and the only “raise” they got was their “raised eyebrows” accompanying their howls of protest at the 50% salary raises the Cabinet awarded themselves!!??Next was “lower electricity rates”!! How lower was that after the 14% VAT the Govt imposed??!! Your Eyewitness is reminded of an old Paul Simon song, “50 ways to leave your lover”.The PM’s shill just gave 125 reasons for Govt supporters to dump its sorry a55 come 2020!!…on scholarshipsThe shill also boasted about “886 scholarships” awarded by the Government. We accidentally learnt that two of those scholarships — @ $3.6M each! – were given to sitting Ministers.Now that “mout’ open”, can we have the other names?? Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)RelatedMajor traffic jam on East Bank HighwayJune 3, 2019In “latest news”OPINION: EYEWITNESS: Bridge…September 4, 2019In “latest news”Woman reportedly gives birth in ECD traffic jamDecember 1, 2018In “Business”