Topics : The draft FDA regulations were reported by the Washington Post on Tuesday as a way to boost transparency and public trust in the face of rising fears that the Trump administration might be interfering in the approval process, the newspaper said.According to a Pew Research Center survey earlier this month, only 32% of Black adults said they would definitely or probably get a COVID-19 vaccine, compared with 52% of White adults, 56% of Hispanics and 72% of Asian Americans.A representative of the Department of Health and Human Services declined to comment on the draft regulations, but said in an email that “career experts at the FDA will make an independent determination on the safety and efficacy of a vaccine submitted to them for authorization or licensing.”Pfizer Inc, which expects to have vaccine data as early as late October, said in an email that the company is committed to providing regulators with sufficient data, including the median of two months’ safety data after the second dose, to be submitted on a rolling basis.Moderna Inc did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the two-month waiting period. The company has said it expects to have data on whether its vaccine works by November or possibly late October. The scientific head of the US government program designed to speed development of COVID-19 vaccines said on Thursday he supports stricter rules to grant emergency use of new inoculations against the novel coronavirus.Speaking at a virtual Town Hall with Black physicians and community leaders, Operation Warp Speed scientific lead Dr. Moncef Slaoui said he supports recommendations being drafted by the US Food and Drug Administration that companies wait two months after the last administration of their vaccine before seeking emergency use authorization (EUA) of their products.Operation Warp Speed already has recommended the vaccine candidates it is supporting observe “a two-months follow-up after completion of the immunization process before the company will consider filing for an emergency use authorization,” Slaoui said. Concern is rising among public health experts and citizens that a vaccine could be rushed without proper safety checks, especially as the Nov. 3 presidential election nears.Dr. Leon McDougle, president of the National Medical Association, on the call raised concern that the White House might block new, stricter FDA recommendations. US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he may or may not approve any new, more stringent FDA standards for an EUA of a COVID-19 vaccine.Trump has repeatedly said a vaccine for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, could be ready for distribution ahead of the election.”We completely agree with it,” Slaoui said, referring to the stricter FDA regulations during the virtual Town Hall event on Thursday organized by the Rainbow Push Coalition in Atlanta.
Unai Emery explains Arsenal team selection v Tottenham after benching Mesut Ozil and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Unai Emery arrives at Wembley ahead of Arsenal’s clash with Tottenham (Picture: Getty)Unai Emery has explained his Arsenal team selection for the north London derby against Tottenham after benching Mesut Ozil and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.Ozil played a starring role in the 5-1 victory over Southampton on Wednesday but drops to the bench for Arsenal’s trip to Wembley today.Arsenal top goalscorer Aubameyang joins Ozil on the bench, with Emery opting to start Alexandre Lacazette up front.Asked about his team selection before the game, Emery said: ‘[We want to] play with fresh players, energy, high energy.ADVERTISEMENTMore: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man City‘After our quality can start or be on the bench because in 90 minutes you play small matches.AdvertisementAdvertisement‘We need all the players with big motivation to play. We are in a good way and today is a big challenge.’Tottenham are without Harry Winks but Mauricio Pochettino says the midfielder’s injury is not a ‘big issue’.‘We trust our squad and it’s a massive opportunity for Victor Wanyama,’ the Spurs boss said. Metro Sport ReporterSaturday 2 Mar 2019 12:05 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link370Shares Advertisement Comment Mesut Ozil will start from the bench (Picture: Getty)‘We are disappointed for Winks but hope for the next few games he will be available. It isn’t a big issue.’Tottenham were mooted as Premier League title contenders last month but lost successive games to fall nine points adrift of leaders Liverpool.If Arsenal win today, they will move to within one point of their north London rivals.Goalkeeper Bernd Leno, speaking at Wembley, said: ‘I’m not sure if there’s a good or bad time to play against Spurs because this game is always special.’More: FootballBruno Fernandes responds to Man Utd bust-up rumours with Ole Gunnar SolskjaerNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira moves Advertisement
Premier League clubs told to get ready for season to return in June Metro Sport ReporterSunday 5 Apr 2020 11:27 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link44Shares Advertisement The season has been postponed since mid-March (Picture: Getty)Once the rate of new infections begin to fall, the government will be pressurised into a so-called ‘exit strategy’ that would see an easing of the lockdown measures currently in place. AdvertisementAdvertisementThere was even a discussion over whether supporters should be allowed to attend matches but the Premier League is just keen to resume in the most safe manner. With 92 matches remaining and the possibility that large sections of society will still be in self-isolation, there was a discussion over whether matches should be made available to terrestrial television and the matter is ongoing.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CitySky and BT Sport also want to be able to show more than their allocated share, arguing that live sport would be a boost in morale for the public. Should matters proceed as the Premier League hope, all teams and squads will have to comply to the strictest of measures to see matches played.The arrangement is also dependent on current forecasting and it’s accepted that there could be further postponements if the situation does not improve as expected. MORE: Jesse Lingard desperate to stay at Manchester United despite Arsenal interest The Premier League could return in May (Picture: Getty)The Premier League are in ‘advanced talks’ with the government over plans to resume the season in June.All 20 clubs were told to prepare for a return in June after the Premier League reached a ‘tentative’ agreement with the government that would allow matches to be played behind-closed-doors, according to the Mirror.The season has been suspended since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic reached the UK in early March and there was an initial dispute over how the season should be finished.However, after agreeing that the campaign must be finished by whatever means, the Premier League’s focus has been on a safe return and the government is forecasting for the ‘peak’ of the pandemic to hit in around 10-14 days in the UK.ADVERTISEMENT Advertisement Comment
President C. L. Max Nikias announced this month that USC will be providing scholarships for high school students whose parents have served or are currently serving in the military.The scholarship will allow children of military families to attend a summer session at USC. The announcement was made on March 13 at a conference in D.C.Mark Todd, associate provost of Academic Affairs who oversees the Office of Continuing Education and Summer Programs, explained that the scholarship will offer classes over a wide variety of subjects.“With the scholarship, the children will be able to take one of the 21 classes offered by Summer@USC program, a program directed towards high school students,” Todd said. “Students that win the scholarship will then be able to take a class in a subject like architecture, engineering, pre-law, business, global studies, journalism, writing, critical thinking or the performing arts.”Todd noted that in order to be eligible, students must be the son or daughter of a current or former U.S. military service member and be in either 10th, 11th or 12th grade.USC will cover the costs of tuition, flights, room, board and lab costs for scholarship winners who will have the opportunity to see what their freshmen year might be like. The announcement was made at a conference in D.C. on March 14, where President Nikias and other university administrators met with key legislators.The initiative is a continuation of a relationship USC has maintained with the military beginning in 1914. Since 1940, the university has partnered with ROTC and has offered two master’s degrees related to the military: a master’s in social work with a concentration in military service and a master of business for veterans.The School of Social Work has also created the Center for Innovation and Research on Veterans and Military Families, where researchers study topics such as how different educational settings affect the children of military servicemen. It also helps integrate military families into civilian life.Todd said the university has been hoping to provide scholarships to military families for quite some time.“President Nikias has always wanted to provide assistance to active military, veterans, their spouses and families. Therefore, in order to help, Provost Elizabeth Garrett created this scholarship,” Todd said.Many people are pleased with the scholarship as it can relieve families from financial stress as well as help them to better adjust to civilian life.Tyler Driskill, a USC alumnus and the son of a U.S. Air Force Commandant, spoke about the financial difficulties many enlisted officers face.“They have a huge financial burden with life in general,” Driskill said. “Many of them have a family member that works day and night to pay off debts. They are extraordinary individuals, and to have scholarships for their children, it would help them out significantly.”Brian Lim, a sophomore in USC ROTC, also discussed the sacrifices military families make.“In the case of military children, they leave their friends, schools and homes every few years when they have to move to a new duty station,” Lim said. “This scholarship provides these children with an opportunity they would otherwise not have.”Arie Bogard, a sophomore at George Mason University and the son of a Foreign Officer in the Army, said the scholarship creates one less thing for military families to worry about.“This scholarship also provides families that are overseas with comfort knowing that their children are safe and that they don’t have to budget in order to pay for expensive housing,” Bogard said.Mireille Olivo, a sophomore at American University and the daughter of an Officer Colonel, noted this summer opportunity could motivate students to attend university.“Allowing children to attend amazing institutions like USC would give them the motivation and skills to get into great college,” Olivo said. “They often miss out on their parents’ guidance while applying to universities since they are away.”Ron Avi Astor, a professor in the School of Social Work and the Rossier School of Education, hopes that in the future USC will extend its efforts beyond children in their K-12 years and lead the effort in its inclusion of military families at the university level.“Our partnerships in elementary, middle and high schools already work on helping military families provide the support veterans and their families need when they adjust to civilian life,” Astor said. “Perhaps other universities will emulate this USC initiative so that they can help children of the warriors that serve our country.”Astor also mentioned that the announced summer scholarship will be the perfect environment for military children.“What USC is doing is great since the friendly military environment it fosters will make these high school students feel welcomed,” Astor said. “USC is a place that is warm and welcoming. These talented and experienced students from military families with great leadership skills need places where they belong, and in my opinion USC will be the best place.”
The table-tennis national championship in the senior competition of BiH will be held in the Sarajevo sports center in Skenderija on Saturday and Sunday (2-3 March).There will be 62 competitors in the male division, and 31 in the female division.The favorites to win the title in the male division are Admir Duranspahić, who plays in France, Srđan Miličević and Adnan Šehić, while Emina Hadžiahmetović and Dragana Kerkez are the favorites in the female division.
(Minneapolis, MN) — Former Minneapolis police officer, 44-year-old Derek Chauvin, a 19-year veteran on the force, is still eligible to receive his full pension benefits during his retirement years even if he is convicted of killing George Floyd. Chauvin was the officer who knelt on Floyd’s neck for more than 8 minutes leading to his death.The Minnesota Public Employees Retirement Association confirms that Chauvin would remain eligible to file for his pension as early as age 50 and sources say he could receive more than $1 million over a 30-year period. After the killing of George Floyd while in police custody, Chauvin’s wife filed for divorce. It is unclear if she would receive any of the pension.Also, the Floyd family could file a wrongful death civil suit and seek to attach Chauvin’s pension if he is found guilty of murder.Officials say while a number of state laws allow for the forfeiture of pensions for employees convicted of felony crimes related to their work, this is not the case in Minnesota. Chauvin was quickly fired from the force, and amid national protests, was eventually charged with second-degree murder. Three other officers involved with the incident were also fired and face felony charges.