Tag: 上海夜网WK

Police charge fugitive Maria Lumowa with corruption, money laundering

first_img“We will make separate police reports for both charges,” Listyo said in a broadcast press conference on Friday.The money laundering charge was used to track down Maria’s assets as well as other parties that might be involved in the loan scam, he said, adding that investigators would question her and 11 witnesses to dig deeper into the case.Read also: Maria’s extradition ‘cover up’ for failure to arrest other fugitives, experts sayHe explained that the National Police had so far confiscated and tracked down assets in the form of her unmovable and movable property as well as money and goods that had been confiscated and auctioned off, valued at a total of Rp 132 billion (US$9.14 million)“We will further trace her assets and also other parties that might be involved in the case,” Listyo said.Listyo added that Maria, who obtained Dutch citizenship in 1979 and was hiding in the Netherlands, had asked for an attorney and the police had requested the Dutch embassy to provide legal assistance for her.Maria fled Indonesia just before she was named a suspect of a fraudulent loan scam by the National Police in 2003. She allegedly used a fictitious letter of credit to obtain US$136 million and 56 million euro ($118,846) in bank loans from BNI issued to her company PT Gramarindo Group between 2002 and 2003. The alleged scam was worth Rp 1.7 trillion, roughly equivalent to Rp 4.5 trillion (US$312.2 million) in today’s money.Topics : The National Police have brought multiple charges relating to corruption and money laundering against captured fugitive Maria Pauline Lumowa, who has been wanted for 17 years as a suspect in a major fraud case.The National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) chief Comr. Gen. Listyo Sigit Prabowo said Maria had been charged under the 2001 Corruption Law and the 2003 Money Laundering Law.last_img read more

Liverpool and Arsenal submit offers to sign Lille winger Nicolas Pepe

first_imgLiverpool and Arsenal submit offers to sign Lille winger Nicolas Pepe Nicolas Pepe is wanted by Liverpool and Arsenal (Getty Images)Arsenal and Liverpool have submitted offers to sign Lille winger Nicolas Pepe, according to reports in France.The 24-year-old is one of the most in-demand attackers this summer following his impressive season for Lille in which he scored 22 goals in Ligue 1.Lille are open to selling their star player but are holding out for an €80 million (£70.9m) transfer fee following interest from several clubs.According to L’Equipe, Lille have received concrete offers from Liverpool, Arsenal and Inter for Pepe and are now waiting for the winger’s representatives to reveal their decision.ADVERTISEMENTThe report claims that all three clubs have tabled bids in the region of €80m (£70.9m). Metro Sport ReporterThursday 18 Jul 2019 10:55 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link119Shares Advertisement Pepe scored 22 goals in Ligue 1 last season (AFP/Getty Images)But Lille will also open negotiations with Atletico Madrid and Napoli in the event that Pepe rejects a move to Liverpool, Arsenal or Inter.AdvertisementAdvertisementEarlier this month, reports claimed that Pepe had not made a decision over his future but the midfielder would prioritise a move to Paris Saint-Germain if it was on the table.PSG have not yet submitted a bid but could make a move if Barcelona are successful in re-signing Neymar.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityLiverpool, meanwhile, have only signed sign 17-year-old centre-back Sepp van den Berg from PEC Zwolle for an initial £1.3m this summer and the defender is expected to start his career at Anfield with the academy side.Jurgen Klopp has already admitted that Liverpool could potentially end up not signing a new first-team player before the transfer window closes on August 8.‘I said already, we have to think about everything and in the end maybe we do nothing, but we will see,’ the Liverpool manager said earlier this week.‘Of course, as you can imagine, we will have a look at all the things around us.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Advertisement Commentlast_img read more

Liverpool legend admits on talkSPORT: I’m a secret Arsenal fan!

first_imgLiverpool legend Didi Hamann has revealed he is a secret Arsenal fan – and claims it’s ‘criminal’ the Gunners have been knocked out of the Champions League by Monaco.Arsene Wenger’s men defeated the French side 2-0 on Tuesday night but, following a disastrous first-leg defeat at the Emirates, have exited the competition.And 2005 Champions League winner Hamann believes the north London club are just two players short of a squad to launch an assault on Europe’s top prize.“I’m a secret Arsenal fan,” he told talkSPORT. “Whenever they are playing on a Sunday or a Tuesday night, I’ll be watching them. I find it very hard not to watch them. I just love the way they play, they are excellent to watch.“When you look at the squad Arsenal have assembled now, they are only one or two players away from being contenders for the Champions League.“Going out to a team like Monaco, even though they deserved to go through, is criminal.”last_img read more

Motel Managers Plead Guilty to Enslaving Indian Immigrant in U.S.

first_imgTwo motel managers in Western Nebraska, accused of enslaving an Indian migrant, pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy and one count of alien harboring for financial gain. The victim was kept enslaved for over a year by Vishnubhai Chaudhari, 50, and Leelabahen Chaudhari, 44, of Kimball, Nebraska.The couple pleaded guilty on Dec.18 in federal court in Omaha, Nebraska, to one count of conspiracy and one count of alien harboring for financial gain, according to a statement from the U.S. Department of Justice. “The duo has admitted to conspiring to harbor the victim, an Indian national who lacked immigration status, at a Super 8 Motel in Kimball, Nebraska, between October 2011 and February 2013,” the statement said.Their sentencing is scheduled for March 19, 2018. The Chaudharis face a possible sentence of up to 18 months in prison according to their plea agreements. They are also expected to be removed from the United States when they complete their sentences.The duo has also paid the victim $40,000 in restitution at the change of plea hearing, as a condition of their guilty pleas.The victim has been identified as M.C. in the court documents. He entered the United States unlawfully in 2011 and was taken into immigration custody in Texas. On Oct. 13, 2011, the Chaudharis arranged for an intermediary to pay his bond and he was released from custody, says the indictment. The duo then arranged for him to travel from Texas to Kimball, a city about 20 miles east of the Wyoming border, Omaha World-Herald reported.“Human trafficking is the modern world’s version of enslaving another person for profit. That is what these individuals have done to this victim,” Special Agent in Charge Alex Khu of HSI St. Paul said, the statement added.The Chaudharis were alleged to have made the victim work long hours, seven days a week at the motel. He was asked to perform manual labor, including cleaning rooms, shoveling snow, and doing laundry. Despite promising to pay the victim, they never ended up paying him and claimed to apply that amount to a debt the victim owed.The duo also restricted the movement of the victim, isolated him, and verbally abused him, according to the statement from the Justice Department. Vishnubhai threatened him that he will find the victim if he ever left the motel, while Leelabahen assaulted the victim regularly. On one occasion, she slapped his face several times because he had failed to clean a bathtub to her standards.The victim eventually managed to escape with the help of a motel guest and local law enforcement.“Motivated by their greed, the defendants violated the immigration laws and exploited a vulnerable individual who lacked immigration status,” Acting Assisting Attorney General John M. Gore of the Civil Rights Division said in the statement.Acting U.S. Attorney Robert C. Stuart of the District of Nebraska said that the case was a gruesome reminder of the fact that forced labor does occur in the United States. “This case is a reminder that forced labor occurs in the United States, not just overseas, and federal law targets those who profit from human trafficking and related crimes,” he said. Related ItemsEmploymentTraffickingUnited Stateslast_img read more