Fernando Torres and Adel Taarabt have surely got to find the net soon.We have a match bet on who will score first in the Premier League and bet:Will Torres score before Taarabt?Torres: 8/11Taarabt: EvensIt was no surprise to see Andre Villas-Boas leave Stamford Bridge after Chelsea’s lamentable performance at The Hawthorns, but who will be in charge of the side on the opening day of the 2012/13 season?Jose Mourinho is 2/1 favourite at BetVictor with Rafa Benitez 4s and Pep Guardiola and Roberto Di Matteo 6/1.The manager of the German national side Joachim Lowe has been supported into 10/1 from 33s and refused to comment on the speculation earlier in the week.Chelsea manager for opening fixture of 2012/13 season:Mourinho: 2/1Benitez: 4/1Guardiola: 6/1Di Matteo: 6/1Capello: 10/1Low: 10/1Moyes: 12/120s BarChelsea entertain Stoke this weekend ahead of their vital Champions League clash with Napoli on Wednesday night. Arsenal came close to pulling off a shock earlier in the week and the Blues are 9/4 to progress to the quarter-finals with the Italians 1/3 to make the last eight.6/1 to be Chelsea boss next season.Chelsea (2/5) should have too much for Stoke (17/2) with the draw at 15/4.It will be interesting to see how many of the senior players are returned to the starting line-up and Didier Drogba is 19/4 to grab the opener with Torres 5s and the in-form Mata 7s.Rangers are first up when they travel to the Reebok for Saturday’s early kick off.Bolton are 6/4 favourites with the R’s 2/1 and the draw at 12/5.Djibril Cisse (13/2 to score first) has served his three-match ban and is available for a game that Rangers simply cannot afford to lose.The Trotters would leapfrog Rangers if they land all three points and it now looks as if relegation will be fought out by the bottom five.QPR are 5/6 for the drop and 5/6 to survive ahead of the six-pointer.Fulham travel to Villa Park with man of the moment Pavel Pogrebnyak looking to add to his impressive start to life at Craven Cottage.The striker is 6/1 to net the opener and 7/4 to score any time during the 90 minutes.The Villa Park faithful have never taken to Alex McLeish who must do without Darren Bent. Fulham look overpriced at 21/10 with the hosts 6/4 and the draw 23/10.The Cheltenham Festival is the highlight of the racing year and our Festival microsite is up and running with all the offers, market movers and news at your fingertips: http://cheltenham.betvictor.com/Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
There seems no end to the list of Sachin Tendulkar admirers and the latest to laud the Indian batting icon is West Indian fast bowling great Courtney Walsh. “For me, Sachin has been the number one Indian batsman. Sometimes he has challenged me and at other times I have done so and we were very competitive. When we catch up there is respect from both sides,” stated Walsh, who took 519 wickets in 132 Tests, making him the fifth greatest wicket-taker of all time. Only Muttiah Muralitharan (800 wickets), Shane Warne (708), Anil Kumble (619) and Glenn McGrath (563) have more wickets than Walsh in Test history. Walsh was speaking on the occasion of a stand at Sabina Park being named after him on the opening day of the first Test on Monday. Walsh sees a lot of good in modern-day cricket but feels most of them are not with West Indian cricket. “Most changes are for good but in the West Indies team, consistency is not there, confidence is not there. There is potential and some are very good fast bowlers. We are working and I am sure we would be back soon,” he said. Even after playing for so long, Walsh believes he could have carried on a bit longer but wanted to make way for some promising fast bowlers. “I left a little early. West Indies was touring Zimbabwe and I though it was time to move on, give youngsters a break. “But those youngsters didn’t come through and so I could have carried on a little longer,” he said. Walsh and Curtly Ambrose set up a deadly attack for the West Indies in the ’90s and were the last great Caribbean fast bowlers to emerge from the region. “We never competed against each other; we complimented each other. Our styles were different. We tried to do what the team required. “I never sledged for it was important to maintain the spirit of the game. For me the ball did the talking,” he said. Walsh named Michael Holding, who also belongs to Jamaica, as his fast bowling idol. “I watched him as a kid and later we together played for the same club, Jamaica and of course West Indies.”advertisement- With inputs from PTI
Man Utd duo De Gea and Pobga ruled OUT of Liverpool clashby Ansser Sadiq9 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United will be without David De Gea and Paul Pogba for Sunday’s clash with Liverpool.De Gea was substituted during Spain’s draw with Sweden on Tuesday due to an abductor problem, while Pogba has missed United’s last five games with an ankle injury.”David needs a scan,” Solskjaer told Sky Sports of his Spanish goalkeeper. “I think he’ll be out. It certainly looked like it anyway judging on last night so it’s just one of those things.On Pogba, Solskjaer added: “Paul had an injury, he came back, he worked really hard. He came back and played a couple of games, maybe played through the pain barrier.”He had a scan after the Arsenal game and maybe needed a few weeks’ rest in a boot so hopefully he won’t be too long, but he won’t make this game, no.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
Mass shootings seem to have become a sad new normal in societies these days. On Friday morning, two shooting incidents were reported from the al Noor mosque on Deans Avenue and Linwood Masjid in Linwood, both in Christchurch, New Zealand, resulting in multiple fatalities. The Bangladesh cricket team members were present at the mosque when the shoot-out happened. Fortunately, they escaped unhurt. The third Test, which was scheduled to start at Hagley Oval on Saturday, has been cancelled. Players took to social media to express shock. Mass shootings are happening too often and at extremely unexpected venues like concerts, places of worship, even cafes and schools. And who are the targets? Anybody, actually. These incidents leave a deep impact on people including post-traumatic stress disorder. Certain debilitating psychiatric conditions may get chronic, like the survivor’s guilt, which can aggravate over time and become more difficult to treat. It is thus important to understand and consider the fears and feelings of not only children but also adults who are involved in such incidents. Very often, they have lifelong influences. Mass shootings definitely contribute to heightened societal anxiety, posing a hindrance towards effective solutions. Firsthand experience of gun violence in what should be a ‘safe place’ for them can be indeed challenging and overbearing. Violence and criminality are pervasive in popular social themes and mass murderers gain notoriety through non-stop deliberations, resulting in a culture where narratives of such shootings spread and gain momentum. Undoubtedly, such episodes evoke raw emotions. For prevention, the world has adopted a number of measures that are also endorsed by researchers and doctors. Some of them include tightening gun laws, identifying potentially dangerous people in a community, learning self-defence mechanisms, restricting depictions of mayhem in video games, social media or on prime-time television, a crackdown on bullying in schools and working towards a peaceful conflict resolution. But hate crimes are rising. And each time, such frightening cases have either close or distant association with white supremacy and far-right extremism. Regrettably, they are motivated by the victim’s ethnicity, religion, race and even gender. It is a very complicated and stubborn phenomenon where the perpetrators feel emboldened enough to disobey the law and carry out their acts of violence. Thus, only prayers are not enough. What we need are stricter laws against such acts of violence, regulations which can set a precedence of its own and be an emblematic example to society, taking us towards an enhanced pervasiveness of investigation and study of each of such acts. Behind every such action, the hate is real. And so is the threat.
OSU junior forward Marc Loving (2) celebrates during a game against Air Force on Dec. 8 in Columbus. OSU won, 74-50. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo EditorThe Ohio State men’s basketball team extended its win streak to six games Sunday, as it defeated Illinois 75-73 in a close-fought conference matchup in Columbus. OSU survived the Fighting Illini’s 3-point barrage in the second half, narrowly escaping as Illinois’ last-second heave bounced off the left side of the backboard. After the game, OSU coach Thad Matta said he was impressed by Illinois’ performance, as the visitors played OSU tough up until the final whistle.“I thought Illinois played very, very well,” Matta said. “They hit some of the (timeliest) shots that I’ve ever seen. Give our guys credit, (because) a few weeks ago we would have probably crumbled, but we kept our composure, we kept fighting.” The Buckeyes were led by the play of junior forward Marc Loving, who had 27 points and seven rebounds. The win pushes the Scarlet and Gray’s record to 10-5, including a 2-0 mark in the Big Ten.Matta said getting high-level play from Loving, the most experienced player on the team, is essential to the team’s success. “Marc was very, very efficient tonight,” Matta said. “I think he kind of had a huge three in the corner, but also was able to put the ball down on the floor, got to the foul line. Marc has had a really, really good focus the last few games and, as your lone upperclassman on a basketball team, you hope that’s something we can continue to ride on.” OSU was able to ice the game at the free throw line, shooting 28-of-39 from the stripe for the game. Both teams were in foul trouble early in the second half, much to the disdain of Illinois coach John Groce.“We’ve got to play a lot harder without fouling,” Groce said. “That’s the highest number of free throws an opponent has shot against us all year and that was the difference in the game.” Groce’s team only made 12 of 32 3-point attempts, and overall OSU held Illinois to 40 percent shooting from the field. Matta said although the defense is not be where he ultimately wants it to be, he is happy with the way the defense is playing.“I think that we’re getting there,” Matta said. “The thing that I would say that I’m not pleased with is we made some mistakes and they made us pay for them tonight. Those are things that are happen. I do think we’re understanding scouting more. We’ve got to continue to build it, but I like the direction we’re headed with our defense.” For OSU, the first half was one to forget, as the team was held to only 32 percent shooting from the field, thanks to the 2-3 zone Illinois employed. The rough first half, however, could perhaps be attributed to the absence of freshman point guard JaQuan Lyle, who picked up two fouls in the opening two minutes of play. The Buckeyes clung to a 30-26 lead going into halftime, looking for improved results in the second frame.OSU found those results with Lyle back on the court. With their starting point guard leading the offense, the Buckeyes returned to form in the second half — seeing a near-instant improvement. With Lyle running the show, OSU shot 52 percent from the floor in the second half.“I couldn’t be happier with the way (JaQuan) played,” Matta said. Lyle said he was disappointed to pick up two quick fouls and put his team in a bind early on, but knew when he came back in the second half, he would have a chance to lead his team to victory. “My mindset was that I was fresh,” Lyle said. “Everyone else had been playing the whole first 20 minutes so I took advantage of that. My legs were fresh and I made a couple of layups. Then I just started making plays.” Lyle poured in 14 points and a team-high 5 assists — all in the second half — for OSU.The Buckeyes, now on a hot streak with six straight wins, will move to face Northwestern on Wednesday in Evanston, Illinois, which Matta said will be a good test for his basketball team.“We’re going to see where we are,” Matta said. “The last road game against (Connecticut), we were awful. It will be interesting to see how we come out to start that game. Northwestern is playing some great basketball right now and it’s always a tough place to play.”Tip-off against the Wildcats is set for 9 p.m.
Junior center Amir Williams (23) reaches up for a shot. OSU beat Illinois, 48-39, Feb. 15 at the State Farm Center in Champaign, Ill. Courtesy of Brenton Tse / The Daily IlliniAs March approaches and college basketball teams look to build their résumés, perhaps the most important thing any team can have is a short memory.Just four days after having a three-game winning streak snapped at home by archrival No.15 Michigan, 70-60, the Ohio State Buckeyes got back to their winning ways against Illinois, beating the Fighting Illini, 48-39.Despite a tough first half where the Buckeyes trailed by as many as six points — including a three-point margin at halftime — No. 22 OSU (20-6, 7-6, fifth in the Big Ten) would manage to fight its way back in the second half.Five points from junior forward LaQuinton Ross — who finished the game with nine points — followed by a 3-pointer from senior guard Aaron Craft was enough for OSU to take a 28-25 lead with 15:14 remaining. The Buckeyes would never trail again.Although the Fighting Illini (14-12, 3-10) would cut the lead to one at 30-29 with 12:19 left, OSU would score the next 12 points and secure its 20th win of the season. It is the ninth consecutive season OSU has won at least 20 games.Despite not playing in the final 10:13 of the first half, Craft finished the game with a game-high 14 points.Freshman forward Marc Loving and sophomore guard Amedeo Della Valle would contribute for OSU off the bench, scoring eight and five points respectively.Illinois junior center Nnanna Egwu continued to hurt OSU on the glass, recording a career-high 13 rebounds on the night to go with six points.OSU’s 48 points were its lowest total of the season, but managed to hold Illinois to just 16 points in the second half. The 39 points by Illinois were the second fewest allowed by the Buckeyes this season, with only the 35 scored by Marquette Nov. 16 being less.Next up, OSU is scheduled to return to the Schottenstein Center for a matchup against Northwestern (12-13, 5-7, seventh in the Big Ten) Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Ohio State wide receivers coach Zach Smith talks to junior wide receiver Eric Glover-Williams prior to fall camp on Aug. 5. Credit: Colin Hass-Hill | Sports Editor.Ohio State wide receivers coach Zach Smith will appear in court on Wednesday after he was arrested on May 12 for criminal trespassing, according to a Delaware County Municipal Court record. A spokesman for the Ohio State football team confirmed the information, but provided no additional comment on Smith’s arrest. Smith pleaded not guilty to the original charges. Smith is in his seventh season as the wide receivers coach at Ohio State and is also the recruiting coordinator. Smith spent five years at Florida under Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer as a graduate assistant and a quality control assistant. Smith is the grandson of former Ohio State head coach Earle Bruce.
Ipswich Town have signed Jordan Graham from Wolverhampton Wanderers on a season-long loan.The winger is hoping his move to the Sky Bet Championship side will help rediscover his love for football.Graham has returns to Portman Road on loan from the Premier League new boys, having spent a similar temporary spell in Suffolk while an Aston Villa player in 2013/14.He has played just 28 games of senior football since then, though, with serious knee injury in 2016 halting his progress.“It’s been quite a tough couple of years for me and there hasn’t been much enjoyment in that time,” Graham said, according to East Anglican“I was doing really well before I got such a severe injury, which knocked it out of me for quite a while.”Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“I also want to be enjoying football and recapturing my love for it again. Coming here is the first part of achieving that. It has been difficult but Wolves know me and they know I play my best football when I’m happy.”“I find it hard when I’m not enjoying the environment I’m in. Being here with a few familiar faces that I know quite well and getting back to training and working hard, hopefully playing week in and week out, my best football will come back and everything will be alright again.”Graham is excited to be part of Paul Hurst’s squad and believes the style the new Ipswich boss is trying to play will suit his game, with the Blues sitting bottom of the Championship in no way putting him off.“I like what the manager is trying to do here, the way he is trying to play. It is quite a bit different from what Mick (McCarthy) was doing over the past few years here, so it was never going to happen straight away.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, March 11, 2018 – South Caicos – The Minister of Tourism, Environment, Heritage, Maritime & Gaming, Hon. Ralph Higgs, accompanied by Permanent Secretary, Cherylann Jones, and other senior officials visited South Caicos on Friday 2nd March. The purpose of the visit was to meet with Seafood Plant Operators, and Fishermen, to get a better understanding of state of the industry since the opening of the Conch and Lobster seasons.South Caicos, the fishing capital, of the Turks & Caicos Islands currently has three functioning plants, which provides jobs for many of the South Caicos residence. With almost 100 licensed fishermen, and other persons working in the plants. The plants also export conch and lobster and supply local markets, the Minister had the opportunity to tour a fishing plant and engage fishermen.In a meeting with the fisher folk, Minister Higgs, indicated his intention to work closely with the stakeholders in the fisheries industry to ensure the sustainability of their livelihoods, fish stocks, and securing opportunities for a robust and diversified industry. He went on to say that the issue of illegal poaching of banks was high on his agenda. He requested the commitment of the fishermen in working with the Department of Environment & Coastal Resources (DECR) in policing this precious resource.The visit also lend itself to a few site visits of development on the island which are being monitored by the DECR.Release: TCIG Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp
FIESTA ISLAND (KUSI) – San Diego police are searching Fiesta Island for a man who reportedly threatened to douse a female acquaintance with gasoline and set her on fire in the area, a department spokesman says. Officers initially believed the suspect might have been holed up in a camper parked in the 1000 Fiesta Island Drive, but the vehicle turned out to be unoccupied. The alleged victim was uninjured, the spokesman says.This is a developing story, KUSI will continue to update this article as more information is gathered. Posted: July 9, 2018 July 9, 2018 Updated: 5:48 PM KUSI Newsroom San Diego police searching for man who threatened to light female on fire KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter