Category: mrfyzhon

Poultry farmer accused of threatening La Grange neighbour

first_imgA thirty-six-year-old La Grange, West Bank Demerara (WBD) resident, Oswald Bijulisingh, was released on $15,000 bail last week on allegations that he threatened his neighbour, Shelly Patrick.Police say the incident occurred on April 30, 2018 at Independence Street, La Grange, where the two persons reside.Unrepresented, Bijulisingh, a poultry farmer, however denied the accusation when the charge was read to him by Magistrate Rochelle Liverpool at the Wales Magistrate’s Court.The farmer confirmed that he was previously charged, but was found not guilty of the offence. He will make his next court appearance when the matter continues on July 5, 2018.last_img read more

Govt officials would have faced jail time in developed countries – Canadian Union

first_imgSeverance payment delays– announces Cdn$44,000 programme to train 120 community coordinatorsCanada’s largest Private Sector trade union, Unifor, has expressed deep concerns over Government’s handling of the sugar industry, particularly when it comes to ensuring that dismissed sugar workers are given their severance package in full.Director for Human Rights and International Department at Unifor, MohamadUnifor Director Mohamad AlsadiAlsadi, told Guyana Times on the sidelines of a one-day conference titled “Sugar – too big to fail” on Tuesday at the Grand Coastal Hotel, which they sponsored, that it is Unifor’s hope that Government act quickly to address the workers concerns.“I have never seen a Government that does something as little as taking someone’s severance, especially after losing their jobs. So, for us, this is a big issue. I mean if this was in Canada, I can assure that they could have gone to jail. It’s serious stuff. So, the Government needs to take this seriously,” the Unifor official said.Alsadi said his union has had a longstanding relationship with many trade unions, including the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU). He said it was important that not only Unifor sponsor the event but attend it to get a chance to listen directly from workers and representatives from both sides of Government.“Obviously today’s conference was important for me and for our president to hear directly from the workers. We were here last year and we did go to some of the estates and met with some of the workers but hearing today from the Minister of State (Joseph Harmon) and the Opposition obviously there are different stories, two different point of views,” he added.Opposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoThe Unifor official said they are saddened by what was presented and the sufferings being faced by the thousands of sugar workers that have been put on the breadline. He committed to working closely with Guyana’s trade unions in general and do all that they can to help. According to him, the main goal is to help save the sugar industry.“So we are going to work with them in solidarity and do all we can and hopefully they will be able to sort out some of the outstanding issues for sugar workers because people have families, communities are devastated and that needs to be fixed.”Fight backMeanwhile, President of Unifor Jerry Dias told the attendees at the conference that it is incomprehensible that Government would move to close the number one industry in Guyana, without first carrying out an impact assessment on how people’s lives would be affected by the closure.On that note, Dias said to workers and union heads that now is the time for them to “fight back” and do not take the road of the past of “least resistance.” He labelled Minister of State Joseph Harmon’s speech as an “economic debate” rather than a presentation on a way forward for the industry.Harmon, who represented the Government, did not provide any assurance of a timeframe within which the final severance payments will be made. He hinted that GAWU and National Association of Agricultural, Commercial and Industrial Employees (NACCIE) were at the table when the issue of severance was discussed.Minister of State Joseph HarmonOn the other hand, however, Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo, who also addressed the conference, did not back down on this issue. In fact, Jagdeo observed that the Minister failed to provide a definitive answer as to when final severance payments will be made to those who are still owed from all the now closed sugar estates.The former Head of State renewed calls for Government to honour its obligation and comply with the laws of Guyana and pay over the full severance payments.Some 7000 sugar workers were dismissed on December 29, 2017, without severance being paid “on termination” as required by the law to all of them. Severance was paid in part to over 4000 of the 7000 dismissed sugar workers.The Termination of Employment and Severance Pay Act stipulates that workers who are made redundant must be paid severance upon termination.Meanwhile, Opposition Member of Parliament (MP) Indra Chandarpaul used the opportunity to call on Government to provide subsidies (water and electricity) to the dismissed sugar workers. She said this obtains in mining communities where Bauxite workers were laid off and there should not be any difficulty in implementing same.FITUG President Carvil Duncan also urged the GAWU to pass a resolution that would seek to ensure that retrenched workers would be the first to be reemployed in the sugar industry, and demand that GuySuCo put a timeframe in which to pay severance.At the end of the conference, Unifor announced further support to GAWU by launching a programme through the union’s Social Justice Fund at the tune of Cdn$44,000.The programme will see 120 community coordinators being trained in six sugar estates to further the discussion on the future of the country’s sugar sector. The coordinators will also work to increase community involvement and workers participation in the restructuring process and to improve conditions for agriculture workers. (Samuel Sukhnandan)last_img read more

Slo-pitch meeting on Thursday night

first_imgFort St. John slo-pitch will hold an emergency meeting on Thursday night (Oct. 8). The society has some important updates and information to share with members, so anyone who can make it is encouraged to head to the Lido theatre for 7pm.- Advertisement –last_img

Prep Basketball Statistics

first_imgBOYS BASKETBALL STATS Scoring Name, school points, ppg, games DeRozan, Compton 528, 22.0, 24 Anderson, Jordan 481, 21.9, 22 Hill, King-Drew 538, 20.7, 26 Gwin, Millikan 485, 19.4, 25 Harden, Artesia 452, 18.8, 24 Rebounding Name, schoolrebounds, rpg, games center_img Lugo, Bell Gardens 289, 12.0, 24 Anderson, Jordan 265, 12.0, 22 Garibay, Compton 272, 10.5, 26 Thompson, Downey 216, 10.3, 21 Chlebowski, Poly253, 9.7, 26 Assists Name, schoolassists, apg, games Beason, King-Drew 194, 7.5, 26 Pap, Huntington Park 159, 5.9, 27 Sandoval, Compton 137, 5.3, 26 Lacoste, Poly 137, 5.1, 27 Rembert, Lakewood 115, 4.4, 26 GIRLS BASKETBALL STATSScoring Name, schoolpoints, ppg, games Watson, Wilson 509, 19.6, 26 Hixon, St. Anthony 488, 18.8, 26 Marez, Millikan 424, 18.4, 23 Figueroa, Bell Gardens 367, 16.0, 23 Bramlett, St. Anthony 391, 15.6, 25 Rebounding Name, schoolrebounds, rpg, games Marez, Millikan 321, 14.0, 23 Hixon, St. Anthony 353, 13.6, 26 Watson, Wilson 273, 10.5, 26 Campbell, Valley Christian 233, 10.1, 23 Dixon, Poly 235, 9.0, 26 Assists Name, schoolassists, apg, games Garcia, St. Matthias 171, 6.6, 26 Mitchell, Millikan 105, 4.6, 23 Felix, La Mirada 102, 4.6, 22 Hixon, St. Anthony 88, 3.4, 26 Washington, La Mirada 77, 3.2, 24 Statistics through Feb. 10 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Report as to why Woods didn’t play in event denied

first_img“We’ve never discussed having the tournament in November with the PGA Tour,” McLaughlin said Thursday. “We’ve had the tournament the first or second week in December since the very beginning. We’ve been pleased because we’ve had great success with that. Last year we had the best attendance yet, and we’re pleased with the dates. We’ve never had any discussions about that.” Woods has not made a public statement about why he decided to pass on the Nissan Open for just the second time in his pro career. Thus, speculation has been rampant about why he didn’t play at this week’s Nissan, where he was given his first sponsor exemption as a 16-year-old. There’s no chance of rain in the forecast through Sunday’s final round. Staff writer Gene Warnick contributed to this report. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Bees swarm fairway As Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els and Vaughn Taylor were waiting to tee off on the par-3 sixth hole, something happened to disturb a gigantic bee hive and hundreds of bees swarmed the fairway, sending fans scrambling. After the trio teed off, Mickelson and Els calmly walked down the fairway while Taylor tried to high-step his way around the bees. Ortega said he was aware of the problem and a maintenance crew was dispatched to spray the area. Ortega said Riviera doesn’t usually have a problem with bees since the weather is rainy and cold. Do a little dance Mike Ortega, the Nissan’s tournament chairman, had a strange way of trying to ensure that it wouldn’t rain this year. “I did a lot of praying and dancing to get good weather,” Ortega said. center_img PACIFIC PALISADES – Greg McLaughlin, the president of the Tiger Woods Foundation, denied a report that Tiger Woods skipped the Nissan Open because he wanted to move his tournament, the Target World Challenge, from December to November in a battle with PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem. The Daily Mail of London reported that such a move was causing friction between the two and might be a reason Woods missed the season-opening Mercedes-Benz Championship and the Nissan. last_img read more

Huskies on thin ice for playoffs

first_img“I don’t think our team has hit a wall at all,” Romar said. “Let’s back up here for 10 games. We won five of six, then over the last four we had a chance to win three of them. I don’t think a team that hits a wall is capable of doing that.” Two of those four losses were a pair of four-point decisions to No. 13 Washington State and No. 12 Pittsburgh. “We’re talking about one thing here: How much better can we get over the next two weeks?” said Romar, whose five-year UW basketball restoration program hit a snag this season as the Huskies attempted to reach the NCAA tourney for a fourth year in a row. “We’re definitely capable,” he said. “It’s a strong league so there are a lot of teams that are capable. But I think we’re one of those teams.” The Huskies have just two seniors, forward Hans Gasser and walk-on Brandon Burmeister. SEATTLE – As the Washington Huskies’ regular season winds down with four losses in a row and two games still to play, coach Lorenzo Romar doesn’t think his team has hit the wall. But he concedes the Huskies (16-12, 6-10 in Pac-10) need to win these last two games – and the Pac-10 tournament as well – to have a shot at advancing to the NCAA tournament. Although the Huskies started off 11-1 and nationally ranked, they have not won more than three in a row since early December. Tonight, the Huskies host No. 23 USC (21-8, 11-5). On Saturday, they host league-leading UCLA (25-3, 14-2), ranked No. 2 in the nation. Those games will be followed by the Pac-10 Tournament in Los Angeles. Only the tournament winner is guaranteed a NCAA berth. center_img That lack of experience has played a significant role in the Huskies’ disappointing season. Sophomore forward Jon Brockman, who leads the Pac-10 in rebounding at 9.5 per game, added that if a turnaround is possible, it had better begin Thursday. “We can’t be bad this weekend,” he said, “and expect miracles to happen in L.A.” – site of the Pac-10 tournament. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Senior menu

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Lunch is served at noon weekdays at the Simi Valley Senior Citizens Center, 3900 Avenida Simi. Suggested donation is $5, or $2.25 for those 60 and older. Reservations must be made 48 hours in advance by calling (805) 583-6365. Lunch is served to Moorpark seniors at noon weekdays in the Moorpark Active Adult Center, 799 Moorpark Ave. Suggested donation is $2.25. For information, call (805) 517-6261. All meals are served with bread, dessert and fat free milk. Here is this week’s menu: Monday: Stuffed cheese shells, chopped spinach, brussels sprouts. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card Tuesday: Stuffed green peppers, carrots, baby lima beans. Wednesday: Not available. Thursday: Not available. Friday: Not available. last_img read more

Letterkenny Golf club express sadness at passing of former captain’s father

first_imgThe ladies club wish to extend their deepest sympathy to past Captain Marian Keating on the death of her father Thomas Minihan in Limerick.The turkey competitions continue despite recent challenging conditions. The latest results for the last two weeks are as follows.Playing the front nine Marian Keating scored 18pts(bot) the runner-up was Anne Condon also on 18 pts.It was Cathy Marren’s turn to bag a turkey playing the back nine scoring 17 pts, closely followed by Marian O Sullivan on 16 pts.Staying with the back nine Celine Bradley was the winner of her second turkey scoring 18 pts (minus 1). Marian O Sullivan was her nearest rival with 13pts(bot).Well done ladies, congratulations to all the winners.The above turkey winners and the hamper winners will receive their prizes at the Christmas party on Dec.2nd. The list for those wishing to attend is posted on the notice board in the ladies locker room. Please put your name down if you intend to join the ladies for their annual festive get- together. Letterkenny Golf club express sadness at passing of former captain’s father was last modified: November 21st, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:golfLadiesletterkennylast_img read more

Rangers keen on Liverpool starlet with loan deal on the cards

first_img RANKED Latest transfer news However, Jurgen Klopp has kept Solanke around in the opening weeks of the season, though he has not once been selected for a matchday squad.Klopp feels the 20-year-old can provide attacking cover this season, with Divock Origi, the Belgium international expected to depart to free up a place in Liverpool’s first-team. Solanke has not been named in one matchday squad so far this season Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer LATEST The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ moving on Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland And, according to the Liverpool Echo, Klopp expects Origi to depart before Friday’s transfer deadline.However, if Origi stays at Anfield rather than securing a move away, Klopp will allow Solanke to leave on loan knowing that Rangers are interested in the former Chelsea man.If this situation comes about, Origi will remain ahead of Solanke in the pecking order at Anfield. 2 targets Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January TOP WORK Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti LIVING THE DREAM Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade 2 Rangers could still sign Dominic Solanke from Liverpool before the transfer window shuts on Friday, according to reports.Solanke, the England forward, has been tipped to join Steven Gerrard’s revolution at Ibrox since the latter was appointed manager earlier this summer. REVEALED targets Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing IN DEMAND Solanke scored his first Liverpool goal on the final day of last season three-way race Gerrard has already used his Liverpool connections to sign two players on loan from his former club, with Ovie Ejaria and Ryan Kent both penning season-long deals with Rangers.Rangers take on Ufa this afternoon hoping to beat the Russian Premier League side and book their place in the Europa League group stage. The Gers lead 1-0 on aggregate heading into the second leg.last_img read more

Maroons on hunt for first victory

first_imgMaroons are currently bottom of the standingsStarTimes Uganda Premier LeagueMaroons VS BULPrisons Grounds Luzira @4:30pmMaroons host unpredictable BUL at the Prisons ground Luzila as the in the StarTimes Uganda Premier League resumes.Maroons have only managed a point in their first four encounters that was attained from their last game in a 1-1 draw against URA thanks to Rashid Agau’s goal.BUL played to a barren draw at Wankulukuku against the Red eagles in their last encounter.What the coaches are sayingGeorge Best Nsimbe(Maroons FC)“We are more than prepared to take on BUL FC because we want this win more than anything.”“Our last games we lost but this is a time we have to correct our mistakes so my team is ready to win the home game.”Peter Onen(BUL FC)“All we want is an away win so we are going to fight and see that we get the three points.”“We have trained well; I believe my boys want this win like I do so we are going to make sure we win the game.”Team news.Maroons FC will look up to Rashid Agau, Pius Obuya and Herman Wasswa to see that they get their first win of the season.For the Jinja based Club, Hannington Ssebwalunyo, Hamis Tibita, Yunus Sibira and Douglas Owori for a third win of the season.Richard Matovu, Musa Maluda, Villa Oromchan and Musa Walangalira will not feature for Onen’s side because they injuries.Match Facts.Out of their last 6 meetings, BUL has managed to win 4 and the other 2 by Maroons FC, there have been no stalemates.With 7 points BUL sits 5th on the log of 16 as Maroons sit at the bottom with 1 point from 4 games so far played.Other Match Day 5 Games:SC Villa FC Vs URA FC – Mandela National Stadium-Namboole (4:00 PM) – Live game on TVOnduparaka Vs Bright Stars – Green Light Stadium (4:30 PM)Nyamityobora FC Vs Police FC – Muteesa II Stadium – Wankulukuku (4:30 PM)Ndejje University FC FC Vs Paidha Black Angels SC – Arena of Visions – Ndejje University, Bombo (4:30 PM)Kirinya Jinja SSS FC Vs Vipers SC – The Mighty Arena-Jinja SSS (4:30 PM)Comments Tags: Bul FCMaroons FCStarTimes Uganda Premier Leaguelast_img read more